Line weight

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beetle, Oct 28, 2006.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How heavy a line do you use when river fishing?

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    when on the mississippi i will use 20 pounds at the lightest the heaviest i use is 80 pound iron silk just started using it a few months ago and this spring every pole i own will have iron silk on it i have seen guys using 100 pound test a few times

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Beetle

Seeing where & what you fish for I'd suggest if snags @ a min. 30 mono or 50 super braid.

:0a26:

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Have to Agree with BaitKiller He Gave You some Good advice. J.D.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I gear for the largest size cats that swim in the Muskingum. The last few yrs a 70+ pounder comes out at least once. If you aint ready for one that size you'll never catch one. If you like eatin size and up to say 50 lbs go for 30 to 40 lb mono, like berkley big game. If you want to have a chance to land some over 50 lbs go with a braid at least 80 lb strength. It will hold up better aginst abrasion than 50 lb braid. I'm using 80 lb spider wire now and haven't had any complaints.

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I agree with s_man, 30-40lb line in the smallest I would attemt to use...unless you wanted to target channels on dipbait

7. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i use 30 pound test cajon fire line have not had the big one on yet but its beet a good line for me id say the biger the fish you wont to catch the heaver the line you will need

8. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have used bass pro shops (excel) line for all kinds of fish.Never had a problem with this line.You can buy large spools rather cheap, for a great line.So im always able to have fresh line on my reels. Catfish i use #30 .

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I won't go over 5lb above what reel is rated for,30lb is as heavy as I use.Geting larger Penn this winter and will go up a little.I was peer fishing in Florida back in Sept. with a fellow from Fairborn,ohio who landed a shark almost six foot with 30lb.line.It took him about two hours but was lot of fun.I can post picture if someone would like to see.
    Jake

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Id like to see that shark!

Here on the Ohio River I use 30 pound big game for almost all my blue cat fishing. I have never had a fish break my line. I do not hog fish. A 70 pound blue will not excert 70 pounds of force. Things like water resistance and such make it not possible. I believe 30 pound is sufficient for almost all my catfishing-just can't hog them in, gotta play them a little bit. But that's what makes it fun. I could use cable and a winch, but that's not fun. a 50 pound blue on 30 pound line is. The only time I step up into the 50+ class range is fishing very heavy structure for flatheads and hogging is a must there.

11. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    I use 25 pound.....lakes 20 ....:smile2:

12. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    20# big cat line for channels, 50# big game for flats.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    20 # on my spinners, 30# on my bait casters.

Big game solar collector or Cajun Red, either work well, I can tie knots easier with the Big Game.

14. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Big Rivers like the Ohio require big tackle. 80 pound Power Pro for me.

15. ckhismine

ckhismine New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use 65 lb power pro all the way.

16. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    since I mainly target blues with a carolina rig in standing timber, low memory and hi vis is important to me. Main line is Ande 25# envy green, Leader is 50# Cajun red. I've seen this basic set-up land them in to 60 - 70 lbs class.

17. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I use 30# Berkley Big Game on the Mon & OH rivers in WV.

18. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    Depends on how much lead and how hard you cast. Anytime I go over 6 oz and i'm really gunnin it out from the bank 25lb is minimum. Boat fishing this doesn't really apply. Bigger is better if your trying to land giants ,but your reel will need some good capacity. 50-80lb mono 80-130lb braid, the sky's the limit.

19. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I fish the ohio river and the james in virginia.I use 30lb berkley big game and I use to use a 40lb leader ,but had a big fish on the james ware threw the line after 25min of fight so I now use a 60lb leader.

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20 lb test and 20 lb leaders! That will catch anything lol.