line twists on my reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mactheaxe, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i dont know if this is a line question or reel question. if you over spool a reel, can that make your line twist more often? i think i did, and about every 15 cast, i have to stop and fix the twist on the spool itsself.its like a piece of line tries to come off before its time. im using a spool type reel.

2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    depends on what type of line you are using i use mono line and i spool my full and never have any problem but also after spooling my reel i do make a few casts to be sure everything is ok--if you are using braid line i have heard it will twisted into itself any hard to get and with braid i also heard is let so much line out and get wet before casting

3. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    This was a tip from Hank Parker but it works. Lift your rod tip before closing the bail after you cast. This should keep the extra loops from coming off the spool.

4. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    There's a couple of ways to fix line twist if you have a boat cut your rig off and let most of you line out back behind the boat while slowly moving forward this will take the twist out of your linewhen you reel it back in tighten up your drag and keep pressure on the line between your fingers. that's the easiest way to fix line twist. The other way is to re spool what I do is after i crank a few yards of line onto the reel i stop and give it slack if the line twists I turn the line spool and try again until the line doesn't coil up when slack. Also when fighting a fish avoid reeling in when the fish is pulling drag this twists the line bad.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Jason that has happened to me also. Yes too much line can cause this. Try an reduce it an see if all goes well.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    On spinning reels you can close the bail by hand rather than by cranking the handle and this will keep the line from twist, also.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    there is a proper way to put the line onto a spinning reel also. you have to make sure the line goes onto the reel the same way that it came off the spool. next time you goto put new line on, look at the directions that come with it, and it will help to explain what i am trying to say.

if your spinning reel turns clockwise, it needs to come off the spool counter clockwise. that way the loops are the same from spool to reel. most of the time you can lay the spool on the ground between your legs and simply reel the line through the first eye of your rod. if the spool has to face up or down depends on the way your spinning reel spins.

if the problem continues and you have a space big enough to do it, take a swivel and attach it to a stationary object then walk off a large section to all of the line. pull against the swivel and the twist will work its way out. then simply reel the line back up tight.

cheap line can also cause more line memory which is only curable by buying new/better line.

8. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I didn't mention that Mickey, but I always close the bail by hand also. Good tip--reps your way.

9. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I use 65lb braid line on my spinning reels i've never had them to twist up. I've tried 30lb to 50lb mono on spinning reels and had a mess !!!!! I can use anything on my Baitcaster reels and i don't have a problem.