Line through type sinkers:

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by postbeetle, Jun 24, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Using egg, torpedo or no roll sinkers in my Carolina rigs. Buy them from whatever store I happen to be in. My problem is the manufactured quality of these sinkers. I have to check carefully the hole and center of the hole for burrs or restrictions. After multiple casts I have found significant abrasion of my line, as the sinker slides up and down the line, especially if using braided line. Do you folks use any kind of a reamer or deburring tool to smooth out these holes before adding the sinker to your line, take your chances or just use a different sinker? John

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i guess i have just allways took it for granted that the lead was soft
    enough to not hurt the line .
    it seems to me that abrasion evidence would be more prone to happen on braided line than the tough monos like berkley big game or p-line for the fact that the braid will tend to cut into the sinker in a bind.jmo.
    the end of a nail might work to ream the end of a sinker out , but it seems to me that it would cause more harm than good if over done .

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Like you I noticed it a while back. Now I inspect em all before puttin one on my line. If there is one boogered up I take an awl to it and that squares it away. Besides they were made in america. What do ya expect. LOL!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I inspect every one I use. If the edges are not to suit me, I will use the tip of a small phillips screwdriver to chamfer them. I also inspect my braided line frequently for abrasion. Since braided is smaller diameter than equivalent mono, a small nick or abrasion could be much more critical. :wink:

Man, I hate this new format; hurts my eyes to view the screen.:eek:oooh:

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I use a pin punch that just fits the hole and has a tapered area up to the shank. Tap the punch a few times with a hammer (do each end of the sinker) to get a little bellmouth on the edge of the hole. This makes the edge smooth and funneled to be easier on the line. It takes some time, but worth it in terms of line abrasion from the sinker edges.

Dennis

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have noticed on some of the sinkers I've made this roughness. I looked at my pull pin and the darn thing is not straight. When you wiggle them back and forth to get them out of the lead, they wobble and do funny things. To keep from doing that, I have made a bunch of pull pins from welding rod. When one gets slightly bent, it goes in the trash. It also helps to keep the pull pins lubricated. LOL

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    John, I never put a sinker around my main line. I know it is common place but there is no reason to do it that I can think of. Most of the time you snag the sinker and not the hook anyways. I couldn't stand having to break off 80# braid.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been able to smooth the burrs off the egg and no roll sinkers by just rubbing them on and old pair of blue jeans. A few strokes will leave them smooth. Try It.:lol::smile2:

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i will be carryin an awl or nail punch now.
    i need to be more observant i guess:eek:oooh:

10. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Quit using slip sinkers years ago for bait fishing because of line abrasion.For what little bass fishing I do with rubber worms still think it is the best way to fish them but watch the last few feet of line carefully and cut off and retie often.
    Jake