Line test, why so heavy

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Dec 18, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have noticed alot of guys on here that use lines of 40-80lbs test.

My question is are they really needed?

Most of my flatheads have come on 20-lb test mono, ocassionaly I will bump it up to 25-lb test.

I also fish rivers with current, I cant ever remember a flathead ever making a run of over 15-20yds...Even the 55 -lber I caught last year came on 20-lb test.

But I do have a idea, when I catch a big fish it is usually at least 80yds from the bank, I know mono has alot of stretch so maybe the fish are fighting more of the stretch of the line..I know I dont try and horse them in either so maybe thats some of it....Are these heavy lines used to horse fish in quickly away from snags? Or do you just feel more comfortable with the heavy line.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have lost a few to heavy snags...so I like to be able to horse them out when I know there is alot of structure in the immediate area. I use 50lb braided line.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, was worried about you since you hadnt posted in a few days. Glad to see you back at it.

I use 20 lb mono on my channel rods and I am always fishing around downed trees so that is why so heavy there, plus, lots of bigger channels where we fish, like 7-12 lbs. Not monsters but plenty strong enough to have there way with ya if given a chance.

Now on my Flathead/Blues rigs, I use 30 lb Mono, I love the durability of the mono and again, often river fishing around downed trees or big chunk riprap so a stronger line is better for small nicks/line abrasion and the occaisional horsing of bigger fish. My PB 30 # flattie got into a treetop and I like to never got him in but after working on him for a while, he came in and I was darn glad to have been using 30# line that day.

I dont believe I have ever had a cat clean and break my line, now I have had plenty of hooks pull out, but thats different. I think the 20-25 would suffice for me just fine most of the time. I can cast the 30 lb just fine for what i need so thats never been a problem either.

Last point, the 30# is what my buddy gave me to fill my reels...:wink:
    Salmonid

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea .I used to use 40 but I was having problem with my knots,casting and managability.So I moved down to 25 and 30 lb test and I don't think I'll be movin back up.All my problem were solved when I went down in line diameter:big_smile:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes I also have trouble tying improved clinch knotts with heavy mono

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I use Powerpro 50 and 65 # on most of my big rods. Why? One it lasts far longer than any mono I've ever used and I can cast much further if necessary with the big stuff. I have line on my reels that is approaching the 6 years old mark. And it has no twist/memory and it isn't a bit weaker today than when I bought it. With mono I had to change out line every year or it would become weak and memory would be terrible. I still use mono leaders for the stretch/buffer factor. I fish in heavy structure on a river most all the time. I've hooked many cats that wound them selves up in snags. Usually I just loosen up the line and put the rod back in the holder, they'll come loose eventually if you have the patience to wait for them. I've never lost a fish due to abrasions to my knowlege. I've actually lost more fish to the mono leaders by far than I ever have to the main lines and most of the time that's due to something I've done wrong, like a bad knot or something. I use the high test lines because in braid 80# is about the same diameter as 18 lb mono. On my bait casters and spinning reels, much smaller than the 50 pound lines(12 lb dia) are much too small for my likings. It took a whole lot of convincing to get me to even try braided lines when I did. I've been fishing with Mono my whole life and thought that with truly quality mono you couldn't go wrong. And it's still true that it's great line, but for my money I'll stick to the braided.

7. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Most of my flathead fishing is done with big rod/reels and 60 pound line(mono). Guess growing up I was taught to fish heavy for big fish. There are 100 pound flatheads in the river I fish and I guess I feel more comfortable using heavy tackle. That said my biggest flathead(avatar) was caught off of a smaller rig with 25 pound mono. My best flathead buddy uses 15 pound mono and he catches some huge ones...

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been running 30lb. and 40lb. Big Game for years and love it on my Garcias. Most of my fishing is done around big snaggy logjams, and rocky shelfs, including some pretty harsh rock.. The bigger diameter seems to hold up better than the smaller diameter monos. I used to run Stren Magna-Thin a good bit because of the castability and smaller diameter, but it just wouldn't hold up with all the abrasions. And at times you need that power to redirect them if you have to. Now, when I lake fish I prefer a smaller diameter line for castability, because I only bank fish. So, the Power Pro braid has been a great line for me. 65lb. is an overkill probably for open water mostly, but the diameter is soo small still, It doesn't much matter. It casts a mile and the low to no stretch makes for great hooksets at long distances. I guess its pretty much gotta do with personal preference and where you fish. But, 20lb. mono would be a disaster for me in most situations. Even the 30lb. and 40lb. have got me drug into structure before, breaking it like yarn! rollo

9. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I lived in Florida I used Stren Stamina 40lb test and it felt like 25 or 30.Very good casting line

10. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I use 25# big game mono for main line on about every rig I have. I use a 50# mono leader. I fish open water and water with lots of snags. I have had very few problems in either situation. I have tried 20# mono, and I just dont feel as comfortable with it. Also it seems that with the drag set for 25# mono I have an easier time of turning big fish.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I mostly use 30 pound BBG for my flathead fishing. IMO, its not too small or too big. Its still really manageable and has enough strength to horse them a little and still has great abrasion resistence. I fish really tight to cover and have had to horse them and havent had any problems.
    Of course, line size in not important if there are any defects in the line. I check the line before every cast.
    IMO, if you are useing a quality line with atleast a 20 lb breaking strength and there are NO defects, you shouldnt have a problem.
    Also, the teeth are like sandpaper. If the fish is hooked in such a way that his teeth can come in contact with the line, I prefer to have something that can take some abuse.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i use 20-30 pound line.i can cast it pretty good when i need to.i like mono,and change my line every month or two,depending on the condition of it between those times.

we usually use that black braided musky line for leaders,to keep them from breaking the line with their "teeth".but,with the circle hooks,it shouldn't be much of a problem anymore.

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use the 80# power pro just to horse them a little more and keep the fish out of the timber and i top it off with 40# big cat mono as my leader, i like the braid for the fact it doesn't have memory like the mono and ya never know when the "big one" is gonna take ya for a run :wink:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're fishing open water where you can play the fish, you can certainly get by with much lighter line than most of us use. But, unless you're willing to lose the bigger fish when fishing snaggy water, you need to use line suited to the harshest condition you're going to be fishing in. As already stated, that sometimes means you either do a lot of 'horsing in', or you lose the fish.

15. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I use heavy dacron line anywhere from 80 lbs and up. Is it overkill? Why sure it is. But I fish right in heavy cover where letting the fish run isn't much of an option. I do compromise a ton in the casting department using this heavy line. But I hardly ever find myself needing to cast very far. Tried power pro before and didn't care for it at all. Never have had an issue with abrasion on the dacron line either.

16. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    All my Abus are strung with 25 or 30 pound Berkley Big Game. And I use the same for my leaders. I used to use the power pro 50# line but lost alot of fish in the rocks. Im sticking with the big game mono 4 sure!

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I fish lots of rocks. And got tired of the rocks cutting the 20 lb test mono. Now I will say I was catching way more fish on 20 lb mono.
    But I lost a lot of fish also. As fishing out of a boat in rocks as big as most peoples cars. Tends to eat light line up.
    Here is a screen shot of the humming bird Side Iminging unit. Showing some of the rocks I am fishing This sure takes the guess work out of fishing rocks.
    .http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/may2007015-1.jpg as you can see this rock is 10+ ft tall and long and wide. But holds nice fish. Theres lots of them . And I mark them with the GPS and fish right over them. love fishing this way. But you have to use tough line to get the fish out.
    That is why I went to 65+ pound line. Also I only use power pro or Spider wire in that size. Also it last so long.
    Pete

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 20 lb mono on all my "BIG" reels. I've never had a fish break it. This spring I landed a 67.2 lb Flathead and a 43.1 lb Flathead. Last winter I landed a 47.9 lb Bluecat. All were caught on 20# mono and fishing from the bank. I wouldn't change for anything. I love the lighter line and think it is one of the reasons for my successes! Some of my reels will hold 500 yards of 20 # mono. I wouldn't be afraid to lock up with a 100Lb Flathead on 20 # mono. The most important thing when fishing for bigguns with 20# mono is a very good Drag system and you cant hoist them in.:crazy:

19. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Exactly.And you wanna let them wear themselves down a little

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My personal belief is that those who are fishing for the skillet or freezer should use as stout a line as they can. If fishing for pleasure, nothing bigger than 20 lb test should be used, and probably line with a strength of 12 to 14 would handle 80% of the fish caught by brotherhood members.