Line test verse actual

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Creteus, May 5, 2008.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Everytime I go for big game I have the problem of line snapping. I thought forever it was my knots, but tonight I did a little test. I used 80# Magnabraid and a digital scale. Came up to 36 pounds each time and the line broke right in the center. The 50# mono broke at 20#. Whats the deal. Is there a line out there that can handle the numbers? I've got 2 weeks to figure something out because we'll be headind for the beach for shark. And it may be the last time if the no sharkin law passes. I don't know but I say more than $200 in tackle has swam around with my tackle throughout the times. Its real heartbreaking to spend a hour fighting a fish to have the line snap. Help please.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    You need a line that will stretch more than the big game.Try some of the Trilene XL if you can find it in 50, if not try something with more stretch and it will be less brittle abrasion shouldnt be a problem since I am guessing you will be using at least a 2 ft wire leader.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    what no sharking law you talking about.

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
  5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Have you tryed POWER-PRO ???

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Yo-Zuri is the strongest line I have ever seen.

http://stores.ebay.com/BIG-FISH-SPO...e_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Give POWER PRO a try.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    try the power pro with a shock leader.

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Thanks all. I think I'll go with the power pro. Heard some good things about it. I do use 80 foot of 100# mono as a shock leader and 10 foot of 400# cable for a leader with 2 number 12 hooks. It gets expensive to lose all that.