Line suggestions for 6500

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by jboy434, Aug 11, 2007.

1. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i have got a few 6500s and i would like to know what is the biggest line i could put on these and still be able to cast pretty good. i mainly use mono (big game).

thanks

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I used 25 lb. ande for years then switched to 30 lb. ande about a year ago. But I wouldn't go with more than 30 lb on a 6500. I have recently switched to using 65 lb. power pro on my tournament rods and so far I really like it. It is a stout line and casts great. Welcome to the BOC.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    25 pound big game is the most I put on a 6500. 30 is a bit much. I can cast every bit of 30 off a 6500 with a 7 foot rod.
    20 pound is sufficient for most of my applications and that includes landing 30-50 pound flatheads bankfishing.

Surf fishing in the ocean for big drum and blues I go to 15 pound on a 6500.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have owned atleast 10 of these... i have them spooled with 30lb. and 40lb. big game...the others are spooled with power pro. you can run either of the mono lines with plenty of line.... i dunno what mark means about over 25 being a bit much? they are capable of line to 40lb. test easily.. if your wanting to cast long distances i would suggest long surf rods, spinning reels with low diameter line like magnathin....rollo

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For distance and ease of handling, I find 20 lbs the best for the 6500. The exception may be Sufix Siege or Elite monos. I've 25 lb on another, bigger reel and its smaller in diameter than Big Game or the 20 lb Cajun Red I'm using on the 6500. I like the Cajun Red, just wish it came in solar green like Big Game, but it wouldn't be Cajun Red then.:big_smile: Didn't think I would like as well as Big Game, but its been a better casting line. Still, the Sufix lines are tough to beat, more expensive, but great lines. Take a look at Sufix Siege or Elite in 25 or 30 if you think you need more than 20 lb line.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't your reel have a scale on the side of it telling you how many yards of whatever strength line the reel will hold... I'd not exceed the heaviest line its lists... but thats me. Figure they had to know what they were doing. May be that if you put heavier line on you would possibly damage the reel when you snag up. Of all the people I see while fishing that break their line, me and my buddy are the only ones using a stick to wrap the line around... the rest are pulling against the reel or the reels handles. Those reels will probably be retired pretty darn quick.

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I use Fireline rated up to 30# with a 12# diameter. Otherwise 20# Big Game or Trilene will work well for most applications.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use both 20 and 25lb Big Game. It's thinner in diameter of other lines with the same weight rating. The 25lb test seems to be about the same diameter as the 20lb ande. 20lb usually handles the size fish I catch on mine, but I use 25lb when fishing in areas that are rough on line. It holds enough of the 25lb big game to cast 130 yards to "the hole" and still have enough left on it for a big fish drag scream. It's some really tough line too!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree Awshucks, I would not good over what the reel is rated for. I have a Abu 6000 and all I use is 20lb test on it.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I use 20# Big Game on mine also, however the highest rating on the plate is 17#

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Breakaway mono from Cabelas. #25 has diameter of #17. This mono casts great is is plenty strong enough for catfishing.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i never go over 17lb stren on my 6500s. I use 20 lb on my 7000. I actually like 12 or 15lb on my 6500s.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I sometimes used heavier,harder & stiffer lines on reels than a manufacture recommended to fish around shell/Barnacles when boat fishing jetties and pilings.Often with 12-20 ft.telescopic rods for reach.Forget casting.This was strait up and down fishing,often in holes through the rocks.I just kept my drag set for 1/3 of what the rod or reel was rated for,which ever was lower.I would often use a little lighter leader to hopefully break off when hung and therefore lose less line each time.I do not believe in "breaking off"against a rod or reel.In fact,when someone used my equipment,I told before hand,I warned once,the fishing trip was over the second time and I ain;t joking.Such people use their own gear if they fished with me.I have just lost too much gear to such people.Now I have never used a Abu Garcia reel,but I don;t see why this would not work with them for the ones that saltwater fish for Sheepshead & such.Will these reels handle the hard stiff 60-80 lb.mono alone?Will it handle a 30-50 ft.piece spliced onto smaller line to get the reel diameter larger?Would you have to remove the level wind for the splice to go through?What is the largest Diameter line that the level wind will handle? I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    peewee, i like your idea, liter line on spool then heavier line at the end(shock and abrasion) good info!!!

15. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I use Ande Premium 20 and 25# test....I use 20# on my small reels like the 6500 and Pflueger Trion 66..I use 25# test to 30# on my 7000's.....If you consider a braid, go with the diam of the reel reccomended minimum....Dwight

16. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am going to get the 6500 also. I have a 7000 and I have 65# power pro. The exchange to mono is like 17# or 20. So basically you can have plenty of line and power all at once. Plus one heck of a smooth cast. I would go with a braided line.

17. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    By putting the length of heavier line on you can use your regular reels with the line that is already on them.Plus if they happen to come out and run,you have some line on your reels.A reel won;t hold as much heavy line.It ain;t my idea.I picked it up from others as is everything else I know.From what I read about the "invasive mussels" fresh water is getting much like saltwater when it comes to shell and line.You are going to have shell from top to bottom on structure.Folks used the strong stiff Calcutta poles in the old days and it slowly evolved from there.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Do you happen to know how much of this line the Pflueger Trion 66 actually holds?My clamp on line counter is junk! I am asking as I have learned what is claimed and what reels actually hold varies for many reasons including brand diameters.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

19. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Peewee you have hit the nail on the head. I also spool my 6500 with andes 20 lbs. solar. I like the idea of a lenght of heavier line on the working end. Good idea. Thanks

20. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    the line rating on my 6000's say it will hold 155yrds of 20 pound test.:wink: