Line Stretch

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by CatfishCadillac, Sep 21, 2009.

1. CatfishCadillac

CatfishCadillac New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Why is line streach so necessary to anglers. Most anglers in my aera have some sort of streach with braid to mono or mono to braid why is this important. I personally run no streach and have had only a one time loss. I run 150lbs power pro on main and lead line. Lots of older anglers seem to have a problem with that.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Not sure what you're asking. But hey I'll give it a try.

Line stretch could be important one way or the other, some anglers prefer line stretch and the feel of mono, especially if they want to do the hook setting themselves, this allows you to really muscle a fish without fear of ripping the hook out, or busting off your terminal tackle/leader.

Having no stretch, in most cases braid, is IMO really good for using circles hooks and any type of hook that will allow the fish to set itself. Having no stretch in the line allows for the hook to set by the pressure of the pole tip alone, the braid is a solid connection between pole tip and hook.

Doing a hard set with braid could end with tearing the bait/hook out of the fish, or setting the hook too hard and busting off leader or terminal tackle.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009

3. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I have seen Mono stretch and save a kid from loosing a big fish that if he was using the braid it would have tore the hook out I like braid I also like mono Both are good lines

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i dont like stretch i like drag

5. CatfishCadillac

CatfishCadillac New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am sorry to the older anglers if I have offended any of you. I just wanted to know why I was look at as if I were crazy. The older men would shake there heads when they seen my setup. None of the older guys at the bait shop ever said much other than other than one who said "good luck".

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    older anglers look at me like im retarded most of the tiem anyways..pay them no mind...catch a few fish and they will open up to ya

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Most of us older guys like to give the fish a sporting chance. I would not take a 10 gauge shotgun to quail hunt. But it is whatever works best for you. In ref: to line stretch it sometimes works in ones favor to use some mono for stretch. I also felt some stretch covered for my mistakes.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I couldn't care less about mono stretch. I also have no reason to worry about setting the hook or crossing their eyes. I bank fish and use 12' rods and cast #65 Power Pro. I really doubt that a fish feels much of a hook set from 75 or more yards away. I use octopus circle hooks and when a large enough blue hits it, there is little need to worry about setting the hook. I would certainly use a mono if I could find one with the strength and small diameter of Power Pro. I think the cost has a lot to do with chosing mono over braid. The type fishing you do is probably the most important factor. If I fished from a boat I would probably use a heavy mono and lob baits. Since I bank fish and need casting distance, braid is best for me. Good luck.

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Alot of it depends on your rods to me. I've got some softer rods that work great with braid,and some stiff rods that benefit from the stretch of mono. A fairly stiff rod in Im7 or Im8 graphite with a no strecth line will lead directly to a broken rod. So to me it's all about the whole package,not just one aspect.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As long as YOU like your set up, it works for YOU and YOU have confidence in it then don't worry about what anyone says. I use 100 lb. power pro and have gotten laughed at for it because it was different than what someone else believes in. But I know my set up will put a fish in the boat fishing heavy cover that we fish. If you like well rope, a snoopy pole with 4 lb. test or anything in between doesn't matter as long as YOU like your set up.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    From what I understand some of the braided line is not very abrasive ressistant. I have been trying braid on one of my reels for the first time this season. I use a length of mono for a leader from swivel to hook as a shock absorber, and to make it easier to break of if I get hung up in wood or rocks. That dog gone braid is next to impossible to break of if you're hung up. JMO and hope this helps.

12. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    i am with 777 well put I use 20 lb mono but i like to play the drag and it has cost me a few fish but it works for me.