Line strength

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by pelark, Jul 7, 2007.

1. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is the type and size of line spooled on a spinning reel as important as it is on a spincasting reel? I know that if you put 20# line on a Zebco 33, like I did for my wife last week, it doesn't work at all. Just hate to waste that 20# line...:wink:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Match the line weight to the reel. The little placard on the side of the reel that tells you various capacities vs. line weight is there for a reason - those are the weights best suited to that reel. You wouldn't fill an ultralight with 30 lb mono, and you wouldn't put 6 lb mono on a saltwater reel.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The 33 comes with 10 lb.test line.A good limp 12 lb. will work.Don;t waste the 20 lb.line.Wind it up on something and use it for making snelled hooks and leaders as you need them.I have done this with all of my heavy weight lines over the years.Also for use with collapsible poles and hand lines.That line has many uses and you are only limited by your imagination.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a closed 33 not a spincast or open face.But get that i have 30lb stren line and it works great for mine

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Mr. T and Peewee's right.....Personally, I think the equipment you use should "match" from hook to rod butt....Just a pet peeve of mine....Having a weak spot in your rig ain't good when you hook to a "bigun"....Also, when your rig is matched from hook to rod butt, it will perform up to "specs"....Dwight

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree with Mr T you might be able go up one size for example if you reel says 12lb test you can 14lb without much difference might loose two or three yards in line capacity.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Closed face and Spin cast have been used to describe the same reel types as far back as I can remember in my 62 years.Manufactures and patents may have been involved.Thin limp lines will often work on reels rated for lower weight as the manufactures have to use a average.I would bet that 10 lb.line of the same kind of Stren will cast farther.I have often used larger and stiffer lines when fishing around Reefs,Barnacles and Oyster shell.I just keep my drag set for the design of the reel so as not to damage it.It greatly interferes with the casting.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    A few years back I put #50 spider wire on my 33 and by the end of the summer ruined that reel. The braided line cut the little piece off that rolled the line..I checked a couple other 33's and they too were showing cut damage from the braded line. Just in case you thought of putting braided line in a 33!

9. kornfishin

kornfishin New Member

State:
    north carolina
    why would you want to put a 30 lb test line on a zebco 33? what happens if you hook a 30 pound fish? that 33 wont stand up to it, and the rod will beak well before the string will. think about it. that small reel will probably be very strained on that.