Line Setup Help

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by iluvcatfishin, Jun 5, 2008.

1. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When using live bait how close to the hook should the egg sinker be and what is the recommended weight of the egg sinker? Someone told me to just let the sinker rest on top of the hook but this didnt sound right to me. I have been using 2/0 J hooks but read that I may be using too small of a hook. Im going to do some river fishing at the dams and want to be sure Im setup correctly. Also, should I be using a swivel to add a leader line so my line wont get twisted from the live bait swimming around? I have been trying to figure out how to set my line up correctly on my own and I dont think Ive been doing it right.

When river fishing at the dams is it best to let the line hang straight down off the side of the boat about a foot off the bottom?

2. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!The member library will give you most of your answers.As for the sinker size,that depends on the current and the size of the bait being used.The setup will be a sinker on your mainline then a swivel,then leader,then hook.The leader will be anywhere from 1 1/2 foot to 3 foot.For using live bait i would go with a larger hook.Maybe a 7/0 circle.Remember this is just basic you are going to have to adjust to your needs in the area you fish.:big_smile:

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    just keep it simple ....sinker, swivel, leader, hook.

1. sinker- most folks let there sinker slip up and down the line, and you might want to try a bank sinker or no-rolls...barrels work but they tend to roll along the bottom no matter how heavy they may be.

2. swivel- yes use a swivel, it will avoid line twist.

3. leader- use a heavy mono leader, most folks on here use atleast 50lb leader line. 10-12" will work fine.

4. hook- a 2 ought hook is probably too small for serious flathead fishing. most use 7-8 or even 10 and bigger. even small flatheads have a big ol' mouth. ultimately the size of bait will dictate your hook size, you want your hook point to be exposed really good.......hope this helps some. -bassmassey

4. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    when i'm fishing the river i rig mine up as fallows.slide a 8/0 gamma circle hook on the main line,then tie on as much weight as you need on the bottob to hold it on the bottom,i have had as much as 16 oz 0n before,8 oz seems to be a good starting spot,slide the hook up about a foot to a foot and a half and tie a drooper knot with a 4-6" loop with the hook on it. then go above all of this about 8" and cut it off and insert a swivle.i use this rig everywhere i fish in the lake or still water i'll put a float under the swivle and slack line it to get the bait up off the bottom.good luck. p.s. as your watching people fishing in the same area watch as they cast to see how there rigging up,you can steal a few secrets without even asking sometimes.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    When fishing with live bait, leader length should be on the short side. Maybe 12" or less. Some guys will let the weight rest against the hook when fishing with live bait or cut bait. Weight size is dictated by how fast the water current is. I usually use a 1 or 2 oz. weight (no roll sinker) to keep the bait from getting tossed in the current. When fishing a lake I'll go with a 1 oz. I can cast it pretty good, so heavier weights aren't necessary.:0a26::0a18:

6. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all the tips guys. One more question.

If I let the weight rest against the hook, to keep the live bait from tangling my line, does the weight interfere with hooking the fish since its against the hook?

7. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think I got my answer from the member library. Sinker, Bead then hook. Let the the sinker rest on the bead, the bead rests on the hook.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    May I ask why you would use that setup? Is there an advantage to having the weight down on the bead on the hook ? All I can think of is lowering the number on knots..... If weak knots are the concern one could just go to some heavier line... I've always thought it was good to have your fish swim around a small area but the setup you are talking about would keep him pinned to the bottom, unless you are giving him slack.

9. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I know there is a logjam or some other type of serious snag situation, I will sometimes use a very short leader (or no leader), to prevent the green sunfish or bluegill from tangling the line in the brush. Casting and offering the bait close to the snags is good strategy (sometimes, the closer, the better), but if the baitfish has too much room to wander, I seem to get hung up more often. Some of my friends have suggested a weedless hook, but I haven't tried that, so I can't speak for it's effectiveness in this situation.

Ralph

10. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My understanding, someone can correct me if Im wrong, this setup is for when your fishing about a foot off the bottom. Either with a pole cork or deadline straight down off the side of a boat a foot off the bottom. Im just beginning to go after the big ones so I could be wrong but this is what I have read here.

11. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always use a 12 to 18 inch leader with a swivel.Never liked my weight down on the hook but thats just me i guess.Use what works best for you.

12. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use a different setup and it has worked well so far this year. I tie my hook above my weight with a dropper loop. I use a 4/0 khale hook 4 to 6" above a
    4 or 5 ounce bank sinker. Bait is always hooked inside the mouth and out the nostrils. This is my first year fishing for flatheads and have caught 3 so far 1st 8lbs second 3lbs and 3rd 5lbs. Good luck.

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    id have to agree with him

14. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky

When river fishing at the dams is it best to let the line hang straight down off the side of the boat about a foot off the bottom when using live bait, such as a bluegill, or cast out and let rest on the bottom?

15. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    let your sinker rest on the bottom but keep a tight line. as long as you keep your sinker on the bottom and your line tight enuff to tell when your getting a bight you will be alright. on a boat i cast out as far as i can, then i leave the bail open till line stops feeding out, then i reel up the slack till i feel a little resistene which will be the sinker dragging bottom and i will close the bail keep my line fairly tight and set the pole down. hope this answers your question

16. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks channelkatman,

Thats what I needed to know.

17. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    no problem just make sure your sinker will slide down the line that way when a fish pick up the bait he wont feel the weight till its to late and you have him hooked.