line setup for bank fishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by newell94, May 6, 2008.

1. newell94

newell94 New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    what is the best way to set your line up for bank fishing. I know that there is many ways to do it and that it is probably personal preference. I use liver, night crawlers, and live bait(gold fish, carp, etc.). I fish mainly in the muskingum, licking, and dillon(now that longs is shut down). also does it change if there is a stonger current. thanks for any reply and good luck this year.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Dustin ... When I am fishing from the bank in an impoundment like Dillon or Buckeye I usually use a slip sinker ... a split shot about 6 to 8 inches above the hook and the sinker above that ... I use the shot as a stop for my sinker.

In a stream the Muskingum or Licking with a good current I use a 3-way swivel .... the hook on a leader usually 10 to 12 inches to the swivel .... then a drop line to either a pyramid sinker or a bank sinker ... drop line usually 6 to 8 inches. the heavier the current the heavier the sinker ...... Garry-

3. newell94

newell94 New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    thanks garry, hittin the river tonite ill try them out

4. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Garry..on your 3 way rig how often does your sinker line tangle with your leader when casting or reeling in?I have seen that rig in a few catfish books but i figured it would tangle up. i use sinker and a barrel swivel then about a 16in leader. Thanks

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    same as brett,i use a slip sinker,a barrel swivel and then my leader.i use the same pound line for my leader as my regular line.more than likely if the hook gets snagged,ya just break the leader and not lose the sinker also.that is if i am fishing for channels.if for flats,i use braided line as the leader,so i will lose it all :wink:

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    make your sinker line short and it won't wrap around your leader or your mainline....i like to use a modified three way rig where your sinker is attatched to a swivel so that it can slide along your main line. With either rig though you wanna make your sinker leader very short so it won't get wrapped up.

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Brett ... I must admit it does tangle once in a while ... but like Aaron said keep your sinker drop line as short as possible and that reduces the chances. I have found if I am careful when I cast the bait out it will reduce the chances of tangles, but you can't always control what the bait or current does once it is out there especially if you are fishing in a backwater pool with a strong eddy on it's outside..... Garry-

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I use a carlina rig for most everytype of catfishing. There are a few ways to modify it to save some hooks, but the basic rig works fine, especially if there is some current. If there is no current, modify the rig by placing a small float just above your hook 3-4 inches. This will pick your bait up off the ground.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Brett, conduct this experiment.

Rig your line with a three way rig. and cast it out in your lawn. Now walk down to where your rig is laying on the ground. Chances are it will be tangled. Now YOU are going to simulate current. Take your main line in one hand and your leader in another and pull them tight (current). You should be able to observe the lines untangling on their own. If it will not untangle, then your drop line is too long.

I know how to do this, because I experienced the same problems with the rig myself. Lack of confidence in its ability to stay untangled.

I only use a 3-way rig when boat fishing and that is where it works the best. I still stand by the carolina rig for all your bank fishing needs.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    what i do is use a swivel with an egg sinker nasty combo and usually between 6inches to a foot of line depending on current and snags gets the bait to the bottom and allows the bait to be free in motion works well for me rick