Line setting methods of succsess

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by STEVECAT, Aug 8, 2009.

1. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    I moved to Missouri one and a half years ago from Huron Ohio to Union Mo.
    I fish the Meramec most of all and from talking to most of the dedicated catfisherman that they prefer setting trott lines with bluegill, while watching two groups check thier lines I could see that they only rebaited thier lines instead of catching a occasional fish, I know im not fishing in Ohio but Im wondering if the fishing is so different that I'm missing something?
    Ive tried my methodes on the same river all around the Trott lines and have had no trouble catching more than I ever caught in Ohio on my type of lines and cought bigger fish!! Im not saying you all are not as good as me , but how can my methods have such differnt resulst on the same fish.
    also why dont the Bait shops around here sell large minnows or chubs?

2. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    what bait are YOU using?

3. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    chubs and large bass minnows

4. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    Hmmmm.. I guess maybe luck or skill. Either way good work.

5. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    Its all about the way its presented ,if a fish is in destress on the bottom of the river its not noticed by most fish around it , its only seen or smelld by what is close or is down stream of it , but if the fish (bait) is on top of the water and alive several fish can see it and HEAR it and that is what triggers a fish to attack.
    beeing able to keep a live bait on the sufrace or just bellow allows every thing to come in place, preditory fish look for distress signals , STINK bait works but is not any kind of distress.
    Now let me explain where im coming from ,,,,,Bluegill are an exelent bait fish
    but if you could have a bait that could stay alive for several hours swimming just 1 to 2 inches below the surface you now have the power of sound and smell but bluegill do not have the stamina , a creek chub or a large bass minnow on the surface will

6. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    I agree that stink bait isnt in any kind of distress.:smile2:
    I also agree that sometimes having your bait set super shallow works well although most catfisherman would have a heart attack if you told them you set bait only an inch below the surface.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i find that blue gills, or any perch for that matter is a pretty hardy bait fish. depending on how you hook them. in my expierience the minnows usually dont last nearly as long as the perch, and the minnows dont have the ability to tread water close to the surface with a size 8 gama octo (or larger) in them. they just dont have the strength to swim with a large hook . the perch tend to die when hooked improperly, i.e. through the vitals. but on trotlines in the meramec the number one cause of death for perch is actually the gar.
    i fish the meramec a lot. i have taken some dam good sized fish on perch, and some nice sized channels on minnows and chubs. notice i said channels there. i fish for flatheads almost exclusively on the meramec, and find that they want the perch over almost anything. when you hook them its gotta be through the back, at the end of the dorsal about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch below the fin. this will keep them on the hook and alive to make distress sounds. they will sit on the bottom, but they will also run around as far as your line permits them to.
    my luck with minnows has been few and far between. the best baiting tactic i have seen for minnows is to put about 4 or 5 on one hook. it seems that small channels and small blues like that presentation when other things arent working.
    never caught a flathead on minnows though, i believe they are to small and the flats dont want to exert the energy on a bite to eat, when there are so many larger meals to be had.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Question if i may. Fishing as shallow as you say, what keeps boats from getting caught in your line?Back in the days i did run lines, i set them as deep as i could reach under the surface and them weighed them down. I agree that shallower baits often out catch deeper baits, but i don't want stuff gettin tangled in another mans prop.

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Could be ya just seeing guys bait up @ dark. Most here bait in the evnen and check early in the morn. As far as setting lines shallow thats what limb lines are for. You can ask TheMadCatter I fish with perch and anything eles I can get lol. I do set sand bar lines a few times a year and they might be only 2 ft deep. Biggest thing with setting lines is keepen em out of other guys props. And yes most of us set and fish deep. Just habit I guess.