Line selection, Braid/Mono-Norman Striper / Catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bowyer, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    I’m struggling with line selection and getting analysis paralysis. I am trying to get out of respooling lines when changing from Striper fishing with lighter lines on Norman to Catfishing with heavier lines in the river. I thought about using a heavier braid for its thinner diameter and then making my adjustment with the leader. Changing the leader out dependent on the style of fishing, water clarity and bait size (live or cut). I mainly use white Shakespeare Striper (Wonders) rods which will make braid a little more forgiving. I know this is like guns and boats and there isn’t one that will do it all well and I may be stretching it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help!

2. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I use both braid and mono/floro. I have 50 lb braid on three of my rods but I use a 30 lb floro leader. Braid is great but you have to make sure to use a clicker and not set the drag to strong. Because the line does not stretch the bites can be hard and fast. If you use circle hooks braid is a good combination. Also on braid there will be no forgiveness on a poor knot. I have had a couple of hits on braid that the hook was pulled right off because of a bad knot.

I use to fish salt water, the braid / floro lead is the most common set up. Floro is invisible and it does not stretch as much as mono. Back to knots, Floro does not knot as well as mono. Check out Mac's posting on knots, I suggest snelling, uni or a double hitch on floro.

When I change from striper fishing to catfishing. I normally do not change much. The three rods I catfish with I only catfish with (those are the ones with braided line). The others I use 15 lb mono with an 8 lb floro leader for stripers, I just change the leader wieght to 25 lbs.

Hope this helps.
    Jeff

3. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    Jeff, Thanks for the great info. I’m becoming a catfish convert. After trying to read everything Mac and you guys wrote I realized I didn’t know anything about catfishing. I have been blest with an 8 year old son who I made a commitment would be my primary fishing partner and catfishing is a good balance. It keeps us both more occupied. Since then I become a catfish addict. Mt. Island is our home lake. Again thanks for the help, good luck out there.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    20 pound Ande mono does the trick and will bring in any fish you will ever hook. :wink:

5. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i second the 20lb ande,i pulled a 25lb boat anchor of the bottom of santee about 10 years ago with it , i asked the same ? you asked and found out i was already using one of the best lines out there.:tounge_out:

6. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    I lived in south Florida and did a lot of Snook and Tarpon fishing. There is not a lot of differance in the rigs people used there for live and cut bait fishing as they do hear for catfish. About everyne I new used Ande line for inshore and offshore fishing. There is not a shop there that doesnt carry it. Its what I have on my reels now. Thanks for the respones.