line question

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by steveg442, Dec 2, 2008.

1. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Friday, I went to my favorite fishing hole to catch a few stocker trout. My reels were strung with 4 pound Stren mono line. The same line I have used with success for years. Well, this past trip I hooked into something (guessed over 6 lbs) that surprised me and with the 4 pound line, I never had any control or chance to land this fish where he ended up. I played him for about 10 minutes and the drag was working fine. He just headed into some brush and broke me off.
    I looked at Bass Pro's Website and the diameter of Stren Monofilament line is .008 in 4 pound test. I looked at some of the braided lines and could get in the 10 to 12 pound test range with a .006 diameter. A thin line with more strenght. Do any of you used braid lines for trout, and if so, what test? Are there any problems with braided lines that I can expect? Knot strenght, cold weather fishing, memory?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Steve i only use 4# test to trout fish with ,Now if am up in the high serria's of nor-cali all i use is a 6# test lead just because of the large boulder's and rock's in the cold moutain stream's up here ...Now you said you had no control on the fish? Could of it been the quailty of the pole you were using? The reason i ask that is because my buddie hold's the world record IGFA 4# class for a 50 pound white stergoun:eek:oooh:Took him a few hours to bring it in but he made the mark.

3. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had a St. Croix 5 ft rod. The problem was he headed into heavy cover (lilly pads stems)before I had any chance to wear him down. I got him out twice but he got right back into it. I felt him wrap me and then break off. I just want another opportunity to hook up with him in a little more open water.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Well steve you defenintly had the right pole going with a St Croix there one of the best ... But am wondering if a 6 1/2 maybe 7 footer might of just had more leverage to play him longer and wear him out ?

5. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    steve i fly fish for trout in our southern streams quite a bit. i know the only evil to trout fishing is that visible line will spook the fish. hence thinner diameter. braided line is more visible the only thing i see you did wrong is nothing at all. i have lost bigger trout in heavy cover because that is what they do, they head for cover to hide. a longer pole does give you an advantage to guide then in the direction of least resistance. when this happens to me i hold the rod parellel to the water and point the butt end to the cover. this causes the trout to swim to the point of the rod away from cover to the area of least resistance of the rod. sorry so long....hope this helps.:wink:

6. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    I started using 4lb P-line for trout fishing. I had the same problems you had except i was using regular trilene. Someone told me P-line is much more abrasion resistant. I have had good success with it. After a day of fishing you can tell your line isnt nicked up bad. Also, dont forget to retie often with small line.

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I've caught stocked fish that weren't caught and released a bunch of times here in KY and WV . Maybe our fish are hungrier or dumber cause I normally use 8lb. test same rod for smallmouths nothing special . I don't always limit out but do OK .When fishing the Cumberland river below Wolf Creek dam. 10lbers. are always possible and Browns especially will head for the nastiest pile of logs they can find . Guess I would rather have heavier line and a little stiffer drag than have one break off . I do give the light line guys a thumbs up tho .

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Some fish, especially stocky trouts, can be line shy. So using light line 4lb mono is sometime a MUST. Using braid will definitely result in less bites especially for trout. I personally use 4lb Seagar flourocarbon for trout. I landed many trout up to 8lbs on it. Another thing that may have contributed to the break off is the rod. You need a longer and flimsier rod when using light line. I personally use a 10 ft noodle rod.

Hope that helps!

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm agreeing with other people that finesse monofilament line is neccessary much of the time with trout. stocked or otherwise.

Usually it is water conditions that dictate how careful you have to be with line. During the right water conditions (high, muddy) you can get away with nearly anything. but if you want to fish into late spring, or hit low midwinter creeks, don't fish braid. way too visible.

Even People fishing with monster steelhead 20# or so, even have to go for light 4-6# line in the winter. ... So if people can catch a 25# steelie on 4# test, with a some luck (and a lot of patience) you can catch the big one.

its like the old love advice "its better to have love and lost than not to have loved at all".

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 6# silver thread an-40 and have landed several medium sized trout and double digit carp on it. if you must go with a heavy line, try the black fireline in 4#. it is very thin and doesn't seem to spook trout at all. i have used it for a long time for trout, walleye, crappie and sand bass with great results. i have never had a fish break it, and have landed fish to 9 pounds on it. the advice about pointing your rod butt to cover is right on, this has worked for me several times.

11. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I do a lot of trout fishing both with the fly rods and spinning tackle.
    If you are using light lines a longer rod is the way to go.
    Can land steelhead on 4# and 6# test with an 8' rod ,the does the
    work with less pressure on the line.

Wet

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    All I use is fluorocarbon line, #4 or #6.. Aint cheap but nothing comes close for trout .

13. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    You can't beat fluorocarbon for any fish in my opinion. Fluorocarbon is kinda stiff so I will put a high quality line on then use the fluorocarbon as a leader. A simple blood knot to connect the two ends http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php

about 6 to 8 feet will do

14. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    I would say 10 or 12 lb in braid. Use a double palomar knot and you should do fine.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use 4 lb P line, or 4 lb berkley, and then a 2 lb leader. Not much danger of losing a fish to break off, they are only about 1 lb stocked fish. I tried some fireline, but it seemed to fray real bad so now I use it for leader material. Have met guys using 2 lb line for fishing, using about a 5 ' ultra lite pole.

16. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i've used 10 to 12 foot bream poles with 10# braided line for roughly 5 years with great success on stocked trout. I've even hooked into a few stream raised browns before. Sometimes i use a leader of mono but not very often. I have to admit i don't get the bruisers in since i'm working without a drag.

17. daveinstlmo

daveinstlmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Line visibility is a big thing with trout, especially wily ones that aren't fresh stockers. Often 4# is too thick and you need a 2# leader. When hooking a big one with light line, you have to keep them heading upstream and wear them out. But sometimes when they are close to cover with light tackle and line you can't turn a big one and they are going to break off. Thicker line often means less fish - would you rather hook way more and have a better chance of losing them or use thicker line? It is possible to get in a big fish with light line - I got in a 6 pound rainbow on 2# line. Also one time a gigantic carp (by accident) on 4# line:). When water is high and cloudy you can often use thicker line but still should probably stay at 6# or less.

18. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    For whatever its worth....

There are a few fisherman around here who catch the thunder out of stocked trout - consistently - and they only use 14lb cajun line for main line and leader line. they catch em all, big and small. I still use 6lb test, but its hard to argue with success!

19. sherdan

sherdan New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Missouri
    I strickly fly fish here in Missouri for trout, the spring feed streams around here require nothing larger than 4# and usually 2# if you want to catch the numbers. Some get lucky with 6# but don't catch alot of fish. I believe a longer rod would be the way to go, I know myself I'm retiring my 7 1/2 ft and going with a 9ft for more control over the fish, you might give that a try.

20. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I use 4lb Flourocarbon, and I never lose fish. I have my drag set loose enough to land them all, but it is tight enough to pull any fish out of a snag.