Line info for beginner

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by keithbc, May 18, 2009.

1. keithbc

keithbc New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks to some info on this site I bought a ugly stik combo that's medium heavy. The rod says it will support 15-30 test line. After talking to somebody locally they said I should go with braided like 80# braided... I'm confused now and don't know what to do. I'm doing mainly shore fishing and looking to catch everything from small channel cats to big blues and flatheads. Keep in mind I'm new to fishing so I don't want to get something that's would be to tough for me to handle.

1. Should I go with braided or Mono
    2. What pound test should it be?
    3. Also if I go with braided what do I do to avoid the digging in problems I've read about? Also how would I spool it?
    Thanks alot everybody

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

1.braided it easier to cast & you can fit a lot more of it on your reel.80#braid =same diameter as 17# mono.2.65 or 80# braid should fill all your requirements.3.I very seldom have problems with dig in,for me the trick is to get it wound on the spool as TIGHT as you possibly can. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING.:big_smile:

3. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Keith, I think either one would be fine as long as you buy good line and not the dollar a spool crap that wally world and some other places sell.
    I personally prefer the braid. After you get used to using it, and learn to spool it, you won't have any problems with it "digging in". I use Power Pro red. If you choose to go with mono there are a lot of good choices, and it is not as expensive as the braid. Some mono lines I have used in the past that I can recommend are-- Berkley Big Game, ANDE Premium, Trilene Big Cat. The Zebco Cajun Red is also good line for the money. Theres alot of choices to choose from, these are just some that I have used in the past and they were all good. Just don't buy the cheap spools that you see in the bagain stores, because it is not a bargain.

4. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    Both have their pluses and minusues. Braid is tough as nails and small diameter. But mono is cheap and easy to untangle if you over run it. If you go with braid 80 lb is the way to go, mono I run 40 lb berkley main line and 100lb florocarbon leader

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well the reel info might help bro. im assuming by the rating you got the white catfish model rod. as long as you didnt get the spincast reel braid would be fine more like 40-65# and if you got the sc you probally wont be able to go over 20#mono. but like i said some reel info would help with a suggestion.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Well, we could use a bit more info on your equipment before choosing a line. What type of reel? Spincast, Baitcaster or Spinning reel. What style of hooks are you using? because this requires how to set your drag and determine if you want braid or mono. For example: If you are using standard J-hooks and using braid, if your drag is set too tight, most of the time you will rip the hook right through the mouth of the fish on a hard hook set because braid dont stretch like mono. If using circle hooks and braid line, this isnt as much of a problem since you dont set the hook when using circle style hooks.

When using mono line, you dont have to back off the drag as much when setting the hook because mono is designed to stretch some. Most all seasoned anglers in my area are using Berkley Big Game solar green mono.

Dont use braided line with spinning reels, nothing but problems here. If you have a baitcaster or spinning reel and choose to use braided line, I reccomend using mono backing on the spool then tie it to the braided line to keep it from digging in. Power Pro seems to be a good choice of the anglers that like braided line. Good luck.

7. keithbc

keithbc New Member

State:
    Alabama
    It is a spinning reel. It's also a shakespear and has the work Catifish written on it. How do I spool the braid? Do I need any mono backing or just tie the braid around the reel itself?
    Thanks

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Always use mono backing before spooling on braided line. This helps keep the braided line from slipping on the reel spool, due to the slick qualities of the braid. I use what's called a blood knot, joining the mono and braid together. Don't need to use alot of backing, just a few yards to cover the reel spool and then tie the braid on. That depends on you. You can always take off the braid and reverse the line so you end up with new line for more time fishing. I mean tying the used line to the mono backing and then spool on the braid.

Thought I might add this. Some guys soak the braided line in water before spooling, This helps pack the line tighter.

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I prefer Spider wire stealth 80lb for braid. I put this on my flexible rod with a spinning reel and love it. No mono backing either. Geuss I'm just lucky lol. On my stiffer pole I put on some 50lb berkely big game and it has impressed me. I agree with everyone else. Cheap line is not even worth the cheap price. If your not sure about it, go ahead and use the mono. After you've been using the rig for awhile you can try out the braid and see. Keep in mind castability and the amount of line the reel can hold when choosing a mono lb test. Probably stick to 30 if that reel is matched to the pole.

10. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Since you purchased a spinning reel I would not recommend braided line. Depending on how much you are willing to spend: I would suggest either Trilene Big game, Trilene XT, or Trilene Fireline. They will all cast well on a spinning set up. I'm not a Trilene Rep!!!!!! They just make good stuff! If you choose the mono, go with 12 to 17 pound. If you choose the Fireline, you can go heavier; something like 30 lb, and still have plenty of line, and still cast easily. I would use a fluorocarbon leader with any of the above, because of the wear resistance (a catfish mouth is pretty abrasive). But this would be fluff. Mono would probably work fine, although a heavy leader, even if it is mono, could save the day if you hook that "once in a lifetime fish."
    So, you can opt for mono, say 17 lb., with a mono leader, say 30 to 50 lb. Or, 30 lb. Fireline with a 50 lb fluorocarbon leader, or a 50lb mono leader, and be in great shape. Heck, if you used 17 lb. Trilene XT with no leader you'd be OK for 90%, or more, of the catfishing you'll do!!! Check the prices and decide "where your at".
    There has be a tonage of catfish caught on very inexpensive gear. Don't think you have to sink a paycheck into line for catfishing. I don't worry about how much it costs to go fishing any more, so if I choose to try something new, I just buy it. That always wasn't the case with me, I know what being on a BUDGET is. Don't let your fishin' buddies or anybody else talk you into buying more gear when you don't need it!
    If you opt for mono, you will be OK for circle hooks with the above mentioned rod. If you go with Fireline or braid, stick with J hooks or Kahles. You need flex with the circles, so they work best with slow action rods and mono.

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    That's a good point. Get the best you can afford. Don't go beyond your means. It's all disposable.

12. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I like braid line, but if you're using a spinning reel with an extra spool you can load one braid & one mono to compare them your self. Good Luck