line guide protection

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, Jun 28, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got a line giude that lost the ceramic piece, what can i use to make it smooth so it dont ter up my line

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Ask around. There is probably a place where you can get this done close to where you live.

It's not hard to do, but you do need some equipment and materials. You can probably do it with stuff from around the house, but it is a lot easier if you have the right equipment (like most anything else). The bare minimum equipment is probably more than you'll want to spend for one eye, but once you start replacing guides you may wind up doing more. Depending on the cost of your rod you might can buy the equipment for less than a new rod.

The materials you'll need is the guide, thread, and epoxy. I'm sure all of the equipment and materials can be purchased online. You should be able to find instructional books and videos as well.

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    If you like I can post a pic of how to make an economy wrapper out of a mousetrap, sound cheesy? Ha Ha, but hey it works great. After you get it re-wrapped go to Wally-World and get a cartridge of the 15 minute epoxy and you can effect a repair in no time! * Tip; also hard as nails clear polish works good too.:big_smile:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Leland we gota see this wraper made outa a mouse trap thats a new one on me lol:eek:oooh::smile2: please post some pics

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    my line gude is fine its just metal, the ceramic came out, will super glue work, i just want it to be smooth, somthing to put on it to coat it, i dont want it fraying line,maby some jb weld,

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you still have the ceramic piece you can super glue it back in...Other than that I would not use that rod, the guide will have sharp edges now the the ceramaic is gone... You could try and fill it in, but it might not last long at all.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    you can put the insert back in just like jack said supper glue it

8. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    A friend of mine used JB weld to smooth out an eye that lost its insert. He used it for a long time before he bought his new rod. It was a light spinning rod anyway he now has a mh casting rod and reel.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Andrew -

That's basically what I was trying to say. You can do it without the equipment but it is a lot easier with the right equipment. I worked in a store that did this type of work when I was in college and I couldn't imagine doing it without stands and thread tensioner, but I know it can be done.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im not going to trash a good rod due to one ceramic falling out on the third eye from the bottem, im going to get something like super glue,i dont think the eye will fray my line that bad, its not going to the trash, jbweld, ,if it frays my line but if not ill leav it like it is

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i dont blame you one bit Jake cold day in hello when i trash a rod over a bad eye it can easly be fixed the supper glue is the easyest fix and it will be there from now on

12. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Did you guy's check out my post on the mousetrap wrapper? It's on rod review, with pictorial.:wink:

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea Leland thats a cool little rig

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well this brings me to my other yhread, it seems glowstiks eyes are crap, look at my other thread with pics its a newer one,

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Duct tape Jake, Duct tape. :smile2: