line giudes bad???, berkley glowstick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, Jul 1, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok i got a berkly glowstick last month, ive been getting flatheads on it, the tip is mettal, i use 50 braid, i went to set the hook on it and, the line just was cut at the top of the rod, so i, went out today and tested it, but it never cut or frayed, also the line guid below is missing the ceramic, but the line dosent realy toch the eye, what happend here, i got pics bellow, if it was bad, my test i put it thrgh would of snapped the line, so i dont know what to do, any advice, heres the pics, if its bad, i dont want to trash this rod, its the best ive had, and i love the action is there a qwick fix to the top line guid groove, from the braid, and the eye missing the ceramic, the ceramic is lost, i need qwick fix, pleas help bros, thanks,

Attached Files:

2. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You may be able to sand that groove out of the guide with a dremel tool or something to smooth it out. or you can go buy another rod tip. That will definitely cut your line with a big one on.

3. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The other guide that lost the ceramic should be ok but you may want to smooth that out too just in case there are any sharp edges that might cut your line.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the stang thing is, i tested it, i did everything i could to break my line on the guide but it dident fray it the grove isant deep, its a small groove,i guess ill wait and if my line snappes up top again , ill get a new tip

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    jake to replace the tip all ya have to do is use a lighter... heat up the ferrule on the tip and then just pull it off the end of the rod with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then get ya some rod tip glue or hot glue and heat up the end of the glue stick and put some on the end of the rod and slide on the new tip... and then line it up with the rest of the guides.

To replace the guide that is more complicated to tell ya but is pretty easily done also. Ask around to your locals or at your bait shops. They may know of someone that knows how to replace guides.

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Ditto. I'd replace the tip guide with a good quality one and you'll be in great shape. The tip guides are not exspensive at all. You just need to know exactly what size you need (take old one with you). Don't overheat the old guide to get it off. Just warm enough that the glue lets go. I just used regular hot glue to repair a couple broken tips and that worked fine.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i stiil cant see how you cut your line on a small grove, on the top eye, and i tested it again and nothing broke so it might of not been the eye

8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Either way both the tip and the eye that's missing the ceramic should be replaced to insure everything is good. I would never be comfortable fishing with a rod that had either one on it, no matter how much or little the line touches it. That's one of the reasons why I always carry extra rods in the boat.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i looked at my other rods that ive usedit seems all the tips have a grove were the braid goes throgh, so i gues thats not what happend, ill keep triying but if it happens again, im replacing the eyes, why do they make metal tips without ceramic the other one, ill just put some e tape on and that will work fine,

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I can tell you exactly wut's happenin bro. it happened to me with one of my ugly sticks last year. if you're missing the ceramic insert in an eye your pole is junk. it will cut the line everytime braid or not. once the pole flexes the bad eye acts like a saw against the line sometimes it will break on the hook set and other times you can battle the fish for a min before it cuts your line. either way get a new pole with stainless steel eye's so you don't have to worry about the ceramic inserts breaking out of em

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jake , take it to a bait and tackle and see if they can replace them.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats why I stick with Mono, among other reasons. No matter how much abuse I give my equipment....mono has never cut grooves in the eyes of my rods. I would definetly fix the eyes on that glow stick and go back to mono....JMO.:wink: