Line for the budget challenged.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by bootshowl, May 27, 2008.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Would it be a true statement to say that the choice for the person on a limited budget regarding fishing line.....ya got Cajun red or Trilene big game? Then the big suppliers always have an "in house" brand.
    Seems to me these brands are the best bargains out there, especially in the quarter pound spool.
    Anyone got any better secrets?
    You folks tried any of the in house brands, please chime in. I'm curious if there's a bargain out there I haven't found that's real quality.
    :big_smile:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    The "cheap" Shakespeare line from Wally World is good line for a good price. As long as there are no defects in the line I think any brand will do the trick. I try to check the line before every trip, expensive or not.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I switched over to Ande line from Big Game last year. It's a good limp line that cast really good. The price is right too....i think it's actually a lil cheaper then Big Game. I run 20# on my 6500's and 30# on my 7000's. The 50# test makes great leaders too.-bassmassey

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I like the Ande too, althought this year, I'm trying Silver Thread AN40. So far, I really like how the line handle and casts. I've also used the Excel from Bass Pro Shops quite a bit, and other than the line seeming to bit a bit thick for it's lb rating, it handles well and the clear blue color lights up pretty good in the sun for good visibility. I didn't like the Cajun red at all, but it did seem to get more strikes than the lines the other guys were using when I tried it out. My grandpa used to use the Cabela's brand line for most of his fishing and never had a complaint about it. I think that any line will work fine, just depends on what your preferences are.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have to agree with the Berkley Big Game and Cajun. This is one area of equipment you dont want to cut corners on.

6. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I switched to Cajun Red last year and have not looked back!! i love that stuff. it has been my saving grace and it is cheap at wally world.

7. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I use the 30# Clear Blue Excel from BP. I love it. Its the only thing I use. The Clear Blue lights up under a black light for night fishing. I have pulled trees to the top of the water bigger than my boat.(18 footer) It is some really strong stuff and I will never buy anything else again. If ya buy two 900 yard spools you can get them for 8 bucks a piece. Thats pretty cheap. Its cheaper than Cajun Red. Hope this helps.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In my opinion the best mono for the money is Offshore Angler Tight Line. This is a salt water mono and sold at Bass Pro Shops.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    When the only thing between you and a fish is your fishing line, why cut corners. I think the best mono you can get for your money is Vicious Fishing Line, formerly Mossy Oak brand. It's strong, castable, abrasion-resistant and affordable.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like ande and original trilene.
    neither is really priced too high,
    I have had BAD experience with Cajun line, it over stretches and you will be changing line alot if u catch big fish