Line for abu 6500 C3

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by miichael, May 16, 2007.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok guys i currently have 50lb braided line on my 6500's but im wanting to switch the Berkley big game mono. My question is whats is the biggest line a 6500 will hold and still cast decent? I boat fish so distance isnt that big of a factor but i do want to be able to cast a little ways. I mostly fish for Big fish and catch 20-40lbers a lot. I was thinking spool up with 25lb or 30lb. what do u guys think or use?

2. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    got 40lb maxima mono on mine with no problems

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I use 50# ANDE mono on mine and it does just fine.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I only use Cajun red 40# or all of my rods this is by far the best line i have ever used.I know alot of people can't see it at night well If that fish can run the reel he is just bait. I never have watched my line only the rod.

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I have Berkley Big Game 25lb in Electric Blue on my 6500, and its worked great! I bank fish, and I feel as if the diameter is good for casting with my 7ft rod. Never had a problem landing big fish with it either, I use less drag.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Miichael, I use Cajun Red (25 to 30#), with a 40 to 50# shock leader. No problem with casting and I have had no problem landing big fish with this type of line and poundage. Mudkip, who fishes Wateree, Wylie and other places uses what ever kind of line he can find (cheap) in the 20 to 25# class and he lands some hogs (30 to 55 pounders). He, like myself, keeps his reels in a good state of repair. Your drag is more important than your line (assuming that you keep fresh/fairly new line on your reel). With a 6500 you can get approx. 110 yards of line (if using 30# test) on the reel. Most catfish line has a lot of memory (curls/twist) but, this goes away as soon as it touches the water or you can spray WD-40 or contact cleaner on your line and take a lot of the curl out.

7. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    myself i use no bigger than 20 lb test

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I bounce between 20 and 25 big game on mine. For open water fishing I much prefer the 20 over the 25.
    That 25 pound big game is some stout line. I'd take on anything in these rivers with it in complete confidence.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got 30# Big Game Electric Blue on mine with no problems at all. I like it a lot! I do a lot of river bank fishing and its very hard to break off too.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would just use 20lb test, its all u ever need. That all I use is 20lb test line on my Abu 6000.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael I believe you have it figured out. 30# Berkley Big Game, should do the job you are wanting to do, with that reel. Let us know how it works out.:lol:

12. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i will probably go with the 25 or the 30lb with a 50lb leader. The 40lb Flathead in my pic was caught on 25lb big game line.

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I run big game 25 on my 6500 c3s and it is great, I am running 8 and 10ft rods. I landed my 40lber on it no problem, great line!!!

14. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have used Big Cat Trilene 20# and it has worked great. It goes up to 40# if you need that heavy of a test line. Take care and God Bless