Line counters or line counter reels

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by PaJay-p, Nov 26, 2008.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Does anyone know of any line counters or line counter reels that are Really accurate in feet. I have heard bad reviews on the line counters you attatch to your rod. I have 2 Okuma line counter reels and four cabelas depth master reels and none are very accurate. There seems to be alot of difference in the readings. Is it because of mono or braid or line diameter?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    hi,
    I've had a couple of line counters, some of the cabelas units.. haven't actually checked the accuracy. I just used them for determining casting distance in trying to get my baits to the same area... Haven't used them for trolling,,,or fishing to a particular depth.. no boat here...

I did use them for a meter when I would respool, and see if my 400 yd spool of line actually looked half empty when I metered on 200 yds.. but, didn't actually measure anything..was kinda hard to tell.

good question though, especially regarding the different line sizes and types..

3. kattysharks

kattysharks New Member

State:
    California
    I dont see how the line diameter would have anything to do with the counter itself......It measures in length not width or any other measurement....But I too have heard the grim stories of linecounters and accuracy I would say all in all if your getting down to the 1ft or inch you must sure know where them fishies are brother LOL:wink: I think its more of an idea vs. exact measurement. Sorry if I did not help

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Line counter reels work by counting the revolutions of the spool, so line diameter will effect their accuracy. Penn and Daiwa both offer digital line counter reels that adjust for different diameter lines.

5. kattysharks

kattysharks New Member

State:
    California
    Dont they mount with that little wheel and it turns therefore measuring the line in length not width. But maybe there is two kinds or something or maybe im wrong! lol:eek:oooh:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If you want to spend a lot of money, check out the Daiwa Dendoh reels, which have an optical sensor that reads color markings on the line. As a bonus, they have a little motor built in that will reel your fish in for you. :smile2:

I don't have one of the Dendoh reels, but I do use the line that was made for them, the Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid. You can follow the line markings on the Boat Braid, black (1 meter), and color changes (10 meters), and keep track of how much line you have out. This works better if you are able to just feed line out, you can't keep up with it when casting. The line is excellent in its own right, the best I have found, very smooth and supple almost like silk, but still very strong.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I believe this is because the thicker the line, the faster the spool makes a revolution

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I might be old school but I do not see any benefit in a reel with a line counter. A while back I acquired two second hand (almost like new Cabela's) reels ($50 each) with line counters and I have never replaced the batteries in them, so they do not count out the line. I have fished with people that have reels with line counters and thus far, they have not caught more fish than I. While drifting, they will point out that there line is out 125 or 150 feet out and there is my line within 5 or 10 feet within their range and mine was by sight or just doing it enough times. Now if you were fishing straight down, I can see some benefit in that situation, but not a whole lot. If you want to count your line, you can use the color coated line or count each pull from your reel to the first guide hole and you will then know how much line you have put out. Y'all let me know when you start catching more cats with them line counters and then I might tag along.:smile2:

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I don't use them either, but their use was explained by a top tournament pro at the last Uncle Scifi breakfast. He said when his electronics marks a big fish, he enters it in his GPS then moves the boat upstream. Using the GPS coordinates from the fish he marked and the current position of his boat, he knows the distance down to the fish and uses the line counter reel to walk a three way rig down river to the fish.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Another reason for using a line counter, this coming from a guide... When drifting or dragging, his preference is to have a lot of line out. Without a line counter, his clients will ask him 100 times a day "is that enough line", or simply they won't let enough out. With the line counter, all he has to do is say "stop it at 120 yards" or some such, problem solved.