Line counter Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by duckalot, Mar 20, 2008.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can you cast line counter reels with out tearing them up, or are they just made for letting line out in a Trolling situation? I am mainly referring to the cheaper ones like the Cabelas or Okuma reels.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good question. I have often wondered if you could cast them well.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Rob, you might want to present that question to Steve Brown. He fishes with the line counter reels quite a bit. I recently bought a Abu 6500LC, but won't be using it much in a casting situation.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great question. I was wondering basically the same thing because I only bank fish and I would assume a line counter would give you an accurate read on casting distance.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm pretty sure the line counter reels are intended more for trolling or drift fishing, not casting.

6. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I have two Daiwa Accudepth 47LC line counters but use them for drifting on the Mississippi, not casting. But, I have casted them before but not very far maybe 40'-50'. They seemed to do o.k.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Shoot why would you not be able to cast them? There the same reel as a non line counter model. They just have a line counter on them.

8. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have used okuma magna 30dx reels for 4 years now and have no problem casting them 60-70 feet. They are mounted on catfish safari bluecat rods with 30lb mega braid. I use these for drifting.

9. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have three Okuma Magda's that I cast. A three ounce weight, on a Magda 20 and Whuppin Stik, will do 170ft. The line counters do not seem to be a problem. Using these setups for 4 years now.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i own two Cabela's DMG-30's depth master gold,and in the owner's manual it says for max casting distance back off on the casting control knob on the right side . so i guess it is alright to cast them as they are telling how to. hope this helps

11. whisker hunter

whisker hunter New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Trolling reels generally have stronger gearing and drag setups to survive the punishment trolling can put on a reel.Casting with them doesn't hurt them just may not cast as far.