line color?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by lendog, Sep 25, 2008.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    does anyone think that line color matters for big catties? i use the low vis. green in braid and was gonna switch to the tracer yellow for nite visability, the other day when my buddy and i went fishin i caught 3 fish and he caught none and his line was only feet away from mine, he uses the big cat green line and i thought mabe it was his line( this was durring the day we went), does line color make a difference?

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac

Lenny, I'm no expert by no means on line color. I have used red, yellow, coffee color, clear, blue, green, yellow and a combinations of other colors. Catfish are not known for their eye sight, they go by scent and then they touch and if they like the scent and the touch of the bait, they will take it. I would go with what suits your eye sight, such as can I see it at night or during the daytime.

I like you, have seen my yellow line or any other color get bites when my partners green line did not get a bite. Could be that your bait and how you put it on had a different action or scent than your bud's or it could have been something as simple as his lines or line was/were three or four feet away from the cats and your bait went right by their scent field or you laid it down right in front of the cat.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I don't feel that line color makes a difference. I have trotlined most of my life and we used white nylon chord and it never seemed to bother the fish so I would definately say that it doesn't.

You probably just held your mouth right the day you caught the fish and your buddy didn't :eek:oooh::smile2:

4. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I got a new 1300yd spool of Berkley Big Game Solar Green super cheap. I have never used green line before and always used clear. I am kinda nervous to put it on, but will try it with one reel and see if it actually makes a difference or not. I would say with muddier river fishing it shouldn't matter a great deal. With lakes that are much clearer it may make a difference. Most of my fishing this year has been from lakes so we'll see.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i dont think the color matters iv used it all and i cant tell a diff but i would like to shar something i read that i just dont beleave ok i read that the red line disapears quiker than any uther color ok if this was realy true y would thay make hooks red to simulate blood a lot of this crap is just markating trying to make a sell so use what works for you or what you like i use the red but not because of thear crazy clame that it disapears the quickest but because i realy do like the stuff :cool2:

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I been using yellow power pro for the last 2 years or so, and have not had one problem. I think your green big game will do just fine..............

good luck and dont forget to post pictures of that hog when you get em:wink:

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i use green now but i want to try yellow

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have yellow on two poles and green on the third one I fish with. I catch just as many on each pole, no difference. I am thinking about changing to a neon braid next year. Picked up a optronics black light from wally world on clearance a couple weeks ago. Reg $35.99, on clearance for $7.00.

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    No line color does not make any difference to "catfish"... They are not line shy nor do they care even if they see it:wink:

10. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I too am a Little skeptical of line colors. Because of this I use tracer yellow at night or electric green, even have the red. I found no difference at night. Never tried anything but clear in daylight. I would think that braid would likely be more visible than mono because of the translucent properties of mono. Also like everyone else has said if it's in front of their nose and they're hungry you could probably use steel cable.:wink:

11. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Dallas I believe and from my fishing the past couple of months. The red colored hooks do not cause a feeding frenzy. Actually, I have cought more using standard bronze or silver hooks than red. Still, I bet the red out performs for some people. Hooks are steel with anodized red or red paint. Any kind of light is not going to make it dissapear at all. Mono line does actually become less visable in water. I am no line expert to explain it, but it has to do with light and other variables. The clear that I use on a bright sunny day. You can actually see it go less visable in the water. Do they try to market you to death with little white lies "I'm sure and know they do" However, some line actually does get less visable than others in different types of water.

In my opinion I think muddy or dirty water wouldn't matter as so. The catfish is not relying on eye site that much. In a lake with clearer water. The catfish is using it's smell senses first and foremost, but eye sight may play a bigger role than a river when the cats come opon your bait. Still, we all catch them in all situations river or lake with all colors of line. Who knows <lol> I may end up catching more with the green and will never want to go back to clear. What is always working for the other guy, may never work for you. I know some lines go less visable in water and for me anyway in a lake situation. I like a line that won't be so visable in the water. This big game solar green may go less visable in water. Hope so as I could see it much better at the end of my rod than I can with clear.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thanks for all the tips, i think for next spring i'll make a switch on one of my rigs over to the tracer yellow and see if there is any difference in the bite, but from what i've been hearing line color really shouldn't make a difference, i just figure the tracer would be nice to keep tabs on where my line is in the dark, thanks again:wink:

13. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    I just got back from fishing on the bank of Missouri River tonight. That solar green big game did the job just fine. I caught three nice eaters off that reel :smile2: so I may just put it on all my reels. Also I shined my light on it and it did seem to get less visable in the water and still very easy to see out of the water.

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess if you fish clear water it might make a difference. I can't imagine it matters at all if you are fishing in rivers. I know the muddy mississippi I fish in you can't see 2" inches under the surface. I believe catfish rely on smell to find food. I use red power pro only because I like the color.

15. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    I use the big cat green 30# on all my abu garcias and it works fine. I have always been told catfish are not line sensitive. So color doesnt matter as much as for other game fish. I like the visability of the big cat. I use the big game green 50# on my big rhino reel i use exclusivly for live big live bluegill for flatheads in the river. Low memory and gret castability.

16. hank55

hank55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I plan on going to yellow, my eye sight sure isn't what it used to be, if YOU cant see the line ,then your going to catch less fish:eek:oooh:

17. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Ok, here is my review from using solar green big game and my usual clear big game the past week. Going fishing three times in the Missouri River it seemed to not matter at all. Not one line got more hits than the other and I caught plenty of nice eaters. I fished four times on Blue Springs Lake. Twice before heading to the river and two all nighters at the lake. There it did seem to make some difference. I still got hits or caught fish on both, but clear was getting more hits. When I used clear mono for a leader on solar green then it was competing just the same. Still, both were doing just fine, but clear was still doing better each time.

I have fished twice at Little Blue River. That is where the major difference between the two was. I rarely got hit on the green compared to clear. I always fished them close together with the same baits at each place this past week. The green was no contest compared to clear at little blue. Now, when I again put on a leader with clear mono then I was getting hits just the same.

I like the solar green as you can see it better. I don't mind using it as long as I have a clear mono leader in lakes or smaller clearer rivers. In the Missouri river or a muddy, dirty water situation it didn't seem to matter what so ever. In Blue Springs Lake it wasn't a major difference, but it was enough. In the little blue and a more finicky situation it made all the difference in the world. As much as I have been the past week and weekend fishing the same baits in the same locations I would certainly say there is something to line color.

Berkley has a new red line called extra tough red that I picked up today. I am going to give it a shot and see what it does just out of pure interest in reviewing what line color does for me in different situations.

18. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well this summer I had one reel with white spiderwire, my other had a dark green knockoff braid. I could tell no difference between them at all. All was bait, location and presentation.

However the white was much easier for my partners to see its location than the dark green. So something there to consider as well.

Red hooks don't really perform any better than plain bronze, however if they give you more confidence, that will make a difference. :)

Dallas I think you are correct in that the red colors fade first, however I think you have to get more than 30 feet down to see any difference. However on the other hand, having an invisible hook isn't a bad idea either.

Not that catfish really seem to care much one way or the other.

19. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Braid is different than mono so it may not make a difference. The bait and presentation was all in the same exact spots fished right next to eachother. Are you mainly fishing in the river? What works for some always may not work for the next guy. Everyone has a line and hook they are confident in. However, from what I can see from the past week. A line that may show less in water may catch you more fish under the right circumstances. The solar green that I used was not all that transparant and some green and materials in other lines may be. Red is a transparant color in mono, but not in anodized or painted steel. Red hooks does not cause a feeding frenzy as advertized in many companies any time I have ever used one. People can catch fish with all color lines and what works for that person is always the right line:big_smile:

20. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i can quickly tell the strength of the line. as i have configurations that i use in different places, it makes it very simple to know the strength of the line based on color. i happen to use cabelas si plus braided and my scheme is as follows:

10# - yellow
    15# - green
    20# - red
    30# - yellow
    50# - green
    80# - red

beyond that, i think colored line is a joke. but what do i know . . .