Line capacity

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ruger 454, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    It is tax refund time guys and I will be buying a new reel or two and was wondering just how much line you need on the spool after the cast.
    I like to have the lightest equipment I can get but also have the right stuff to land the next world record when I hook it this summer.(hahaha)
    Just a answer on how much line you have had one rip off the reel using 30-50 lb.line in current would give me an idea about what size reel I need to buy.Thanks again Mike

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Only new reel that I'm thinking about getting is either a Penn Senator 115L(675/50) or an Okuma Titus T-50w(710/50).

Me, I've had 300yds of 50lb PowerPro stripped off while fishing in a lake before.

:004:

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I USE ABU 7000S AND 100# POWER PRO FILL EM FULL AND DONT WORRIE U CAN TURN THE BIGGINS AROUND LOL :wink:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fishing from a boat, or from shore? Calm water, or swift water? I've seen guys with a Penn 309 get spooled when fishing from shore below the powerhouse at Dardanelle Dam, on the Arkansas River. With a boat, you've got some chance of chasing the fish before you get spooled.

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    how about this for thought your reel holds 225 yds of line now you're fishing from shore and you cast 100 yds, you set your rod 10yds from the water and the fish you just hooked rips off anothr 100 yds how much line is left? not much i have this happen only it was worse it was a 200 yd cast with a 300yd spool of braid and luckily for me 150yds of mono underneath. 60 min later i'm landing a 100+ pound ray. my answer you can never have enough line capasity.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sting ray wings...yum, yum! Don't know how one that big would taste, though. The biggest we ever ate was about 30#.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mike, it is better to have 200+ yards of line and not need it than to not have it and wish you had. Also fishing the Ohio with the amount of current it can have and using the amount of weight needed, the reels suited for pulling in that kind of weight are usually larger capacity. Anything small to medium will just wear out to fast. Vern

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    jerry i couldn't tell how it was either i lost it in the wash but i can tell it was easily the width of my truck hood. dogfish fillets taste mighty fine i kept a 4 footer to savage a trip last year and that baby fried up real nice.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use abu 6500 reels and I only have appx 40yds of line left on my reel after making a long cast..I have caught flats up to 50-lbs in current and never have came close to being spooled.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use Abu 7000ic3 reels and i just fill up the spool havent seen one yet to spool it. The biggest ive seen caught on it is 64 lbs. and he didnt take very much line 30-40 yards maybe. That reel is like a wench!!!