Line capacity for abu 6500

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by stone, Feb 16, 2008.

1. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Hi all

would 300 of 65lbs or 50 lbs power pro fit into the above reel?

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    See what the diameter of the power pro compares to against mono line. The 6500 will hold 245 yards of 14lb test, 190 yards of 17lb test, and 155 yards of 20lb test mono.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    That would be a fine choice of line. I used 50lb test P.P. on my 6501c3 before I steped up to the 7000"s. :wink:

4. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    thanks for your replies. I was hoping to fit an entire spool of 300 yrs but not sure what pooundage would fit.

Great active forum here!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I would think that you would probably have to go with 40# Power Pro. It has the diameter of 10# mono.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    With a little bit of 30 lb. mono for backing ( just enough to cover the spool) an abu 6500 will hold 150 yards of 65 lb. power pro. The diameter of 65 lb. power pro is about the equivalent of 17 lb. mono. I buy it in 300 yard spools at Academy for about $19.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You might be a little cautious about going too small with your line diameter. If it's too small, then it can get caught between the spool and the frame and really get things screwed up. On my 4600 I've got 10lb test mono caught between the spool and the frame before. I don't go below 12lb test now. I'd think about something with a diameter no smaller than 12lb mono.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I just unloaded some supplies out of the sack from my last trip to Academy and the 65 lb. power pro that I bought this time says its equivilant to 16 lb. mono.

9. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I agree with the mono backing,I go about 50/50,because of the price,but if could get on to big fish that had a chance of spooling the reel,I would go power pro all the way,but the stuff I catch I aint in danger of getting spooled.

10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    10-12 pound will get you awful close. i have the 6500 c3 and am running 200yrds of 50lb spider wire 14lb dia. i want the strength not the size. ive never had a problem with spider wire. i prefer it over mono cuz i dont like the stretch but to each their own.

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I do have 300yds of 50lb PP on one of mine.
    There's several reasons for it;
    1. The line is 0.010" vs 0.014" of the current 50lb PP.
    2. The line had 10lbs of tension applied to it while being spooled.
    3. With the current thickness of PP, it would not be possible.
    The spool of PP was purchased about 3-4 years ago, but was not utilized until 2 weeks ago when I spooled the reel.

:004:

12. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    thanks all for the kind info. wanted to spool it with 300 yrds of line. didnt want any extra to be cut. find it such a waste to cut the excess.

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would have to agree with an earlier post, that 10-40 Power-Pro with a small amount of mono backing would fit.:wink: In fact thats what I have on my drifting reels (6500's), so that I can minimize how much wieght it takes to bounce off the bottom! I dont have 300yds on each reel though, I only put 150yds on each reel. I feel like, if Im in the boat moving and hook into a MAGNUM blue then I can go to the fish easy enough!:big_smile:

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I back all my PP with mono. It keeps the spool from spinning under the braid when it freezes. I had that happen to me on lake whitney tourny and now dont have that prob. It also makes filling a spool that much cheaper and i change line every 3 months. Go to change line on 7 reels and cheaper means alot!