Line breakage

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MoMudCat, Oct 17, 2005.

1. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I was drift fishing Sun morning and lost two fish. Both times I was using goldfish heads and my line started jerking a little. Kinda like a smaller channel does. After a couple of minutes of this the tip bent to the water. I grabed my pole and went to set the hook. Ping!! The line broke. I have new 15 lb. line on the pole. I really don't think I was snaged (I had gotten snagged before and pulled my boat against the current without breaking the line). Should I restring my reel with some stronger line??

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes I would put some stronger line on like 25 pound test oreven 30 if fishing around structure and or strong current. Braided line is also aa good route to go as well. Make sure that you have a good knot as well. Knots are one of the most important factors.

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Two things come to mind for me, 1. Drag, 2. Gar Providing you have gar where you fish. Just my thoughts. later Mac

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Egad! I use 100 lb power pro and have the cuts on my hands to prove it. I have caught a 32 this year on 6lb. but that was in 3 feet of water in a lake! I plan to downsize my line when this runs out to about 50 or so, but yes, I would recommend if you want to catch a big one, you gotta be equipped.

Good Luck,
    Shawn (Ohio)

5. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I would agree with Bluehunter about checking your knots thats weakest point if its a bad knot to start with.Then it could have been under water structure just cut line never know.

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    how big do the fish get where you are?

15lb test is something i would use for channel cats not blues

i use 65lb test up to 80lb test

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My mind is asking: What type of knot are you using? Could you tell if the line failed at the knot, or above it? When you tie the knots, be very careful not to stress the line, moisten the line and tighten the knot slowly. Always check your line for fraying, especially the first 6' or so.

8. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    thanks for the help. I am going to put on some heavy line. I fish in the Mississippi River. I am usually careful about my knots, but I will make sure to check them also.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes fishing the mighty Mississippi I would definitely come with the arsenal there.. 30 pound at least.

10. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    If you where drift fishing, you have had a spot on your line that had an abrashion ( weak spot). I have had that happen several times, I check the line for several feet befor I put it out each time.

11. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I fish the mississippi and had three break me off at my leaders and i was using 30 pd mono. I finally gave in and went to heavier line and i'm pleased with it. Power pro 65 to 80 should do the trick. It'll save you from wasting time and money on what you woulda wished you bought..........

12. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    momudcat you have to ask yourself:

what is the biggest catfish i could catch?
    in the mississippi that's over 100lbs (depending on which part of it you fish)

how bad is the snag situation and rocks?
    the more bad stuff there is the higher the number should be

personally i would want to have on a line that is going to catch me that 100lb fish .. here's what i would recommend for the mississippi

NO LESS THAN 50lb braid such as fireline xds or power pro for your main line .. i myself would probably use 65-80 .. its thin and manageable and definatly won't break without tying it to a tug boat

also since you had a problem breaking the line i would use something like 80lb ande monofilament for a leader .. this will provide abrasion resistance against rocks and such things, not to mention the raspy mouth of the cat

for knots i use the improved clinch to tie the main line to the barrel swivel and the mono leader to the swivel .. then use the palomar to tie the mono leader to the hook

i have NEVER broken off a fish or had a knot come undone with that setup and i fish on the james where big fish are quite common

if you truly want to be able to catch the biggest fish the mississippi has to offer you have to have something on there that will allow you to horse the fish away from cover that isn't going to snap .. it may seem like overkill but you'll thank yourself when you drag a 100lb fish out of a pile of wood

a good point was made however .. you can get away with 15lb test fishing for big cats .. IN A NON CURRENT situation with NO SNAGS to be broken off in .. in open water, if you play the fish correctly utilizing the drag you can land pretty much any fish .. heck i landed a 20lb muskie on an ultra lite rod and reel with 6lb test .. but there was in current .. in a river i would have lost that battle

13. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    60 pound test, a palomar knot and your ready. Always check your drag before you go.

14. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Here in Oklahoma,we mostly use 30# to 60# dependin where ya fish.I use a palomar knot,bait castin reel with Red Cajin Line,only thing is,its got a bad memory!I fish mostly stumps.When I hook one and he wraps up around a stump I dont have no problem pullin my boat over to him with 30#. :D

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you are going to stick with the 15# line at least have a nice heavy leader. In the missouri I personally don't use anything under 30# with a 50# leader.

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i fish w/ 15 lb test all the time...don't usually have trouble w/ fish breaking off... hell i've brought in 30 and 40 lb snappers on 12... what it sounds like to me is that you set the drag way too tight and are probably using a rod thats not rated for that line weight... other issue it could be is the line its self... examine it... if its rough, its been rubbing up against something on the bottom causing it to weaken... if its kind of twisty it was probably your knot... if its just broken w/ no real apparent reason it was either a toothy (gar, pike, or if your fishing far enough south a bullshark) or there is an issue with the line or your drag is too tight... if it is an issue with the line, send it to the manufacterer and explain what the problem is...

The common belief is that drag should be set at approx 1/3 the breaking strength of your line... slightly tighter in cover but also using heavier line in cover too...

17. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I've read what everyone has had to say, yet no one has mentioned the condition of the eyes on your rod. A damaged insert will do you in every time. Braids will cut a groove in a ceramic eye in no time flat! I will tell you a funny story you may or may not believe, A few years back in the boredom of a Sunday afternoon I decided to fly a kite with my kitty rod that had several hundred yards of Spiderwire spooled up. I'm tellin' ya I had that thing in the air so far you could barely see it! Anyways it was time to call it a day, so I started reeling in my almost invisible flight machine. It was like no fish I'd ever encountered Back and forth, to and fro, up and down. When I finally grounded this thing I had almost worn three guides completly though to the metal, so much for that outfit! Check your guides, believe it or not they are just as important if not more than the pound test you use. :cool:

18. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Good call on the guides Joe. I have had that problem. Another problem I have had here in Arizona is leaving my rods in the Explorer during the heat of the day. It takes no time to break down that line and it then becomes very brittle. I learned pretty quick on that, but then not very many states have the kind of sun we get here in the summertime.

I have also heard of people getting a bad spool of line. I have never run into this problem but you might pull out a long section and just pull on it and see how easily it breaks. You might also just run your fingers down the line and sometimes you can feel frays, and rough areas. If this is the case, I would either respool or cut off a section of your line so as to use the new.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would like to comment on Cataholics observation that braids will groove a ceramic guide in a minute.There are two things to consider here.First ,when braids came out many had "coatings" on them to help the casting ,hold them together etc etc.These coatings picked up dirt which in the back and forth of reeling and casting acted just like sandpaper and wore grooves in guides.Secondly the guides on cheaper rods which claimed to be and looked like ceramic were not genuine ceramic.A good genuine FUJI ceramic guide,depending on which one it is will cost between 5-10$.So if you pay 20-30$ for a rod at Wally world figure it out.That is one of the major cost differences between a cheap rod and an expensive one,the number and quality of the guides and type of handle.The even cheaper metal guides didn't last as long as the would be ceramic.I have used braids from the beginning.I use nothing else.I also use rods that have genuine Fuji ceramic guides on them.I wont buy a rod that doesn't have them.So far, and some of my rods have been using braid on them for 10 years now,I have found no grooves,cuts etc.The newer braids also are much better as far as construction,materials and braiding process and less use of coatings.Todays Power Pro is far superior to the initial braids.I'm not correcting Cataholic just expanding the thought.I don't want anyone contemplating the use of braided lines to discard the idea without all the facts at their disposal.I believe GATOR should probably comment here if he reads this as he builds rods and knows far more about it than I do.Hope this helps anyone thinking about braids for future use.

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Ok from a rod building point of view here let’s look at some points of interest. First there is the guides, take a cotton swab and run it trough all your guides and see if it catches on any rough spots or groves. As far as line cutting trough the “ceramic” inserts I have had Mono cut trough them, as the cheaper guides are a plastics ceramic mix, that is why I will not use them on my rods unless you ask for them buy special request I will only use Fuji and American Tackle guides as they are real ceramic. The cheep ones can and will pop out due to over use, crack from being handled rough, getting banged around in a boat or car, or just from old age. But check your guides first, second is that sun light will cause some cheaper Mono lines to break down. I would check the line if you still have some on the spool it come off of and see when it breaks or if it is frayed. You can do this by tying one end to a stick or something like that and the other to a digital scale and pulling on it to see when it breaks and at how much pressure. You could have just gotten hold of some old line. Then there is the drag issue you drag could have a rough spot on one of the washers causing it to seize up, or could be to tight. Now if the rod is not rated for the line weight you are using, and this is where the guys who use the heaver line even you braid users need to pay attention here, it can have one of 2 effects; 1) to much stress on the rod causing the line to touch the blank on a store bought rod causing it to break or cut into the rod itself; 2) causing the rod to snap due to the amount of drag the line in conjunction with the drag of the reel have while fighting a big fish. That is the affects on the rods them self’s, not to mention the wear on the reel.

As far as needing all this heavy line this 50# and 80# if you ask me that is just a waste of money, the heaviest line I use is 30# for catfish and my largest cat which was a 48# flathead I got on 12#. Now am I saying the guy’s here that use those heavy line test are wrong, NO I am saying that I don’t use it because I don’t need it here. I have landed 175+ pound sharks on 30# line, and if it can hold up to that it can hold up to a 50# cat with ease, if you ask me.

Now when it comes to braided lines I have 2 reels with it on them but those are for special types of fishing. I use mono and that is because that’s what I like. The newer braids are much easer on the newer guides as the newer guides are built to handle them. If you like braided line then by all means please use them and if your fish with heavy lines then that is ok to just please check you rods. I really would hate to see someone lose a big fish because of a little mistake we all have made at one time or another. I know I have over loaded a rod buy using to heavy of a line and broke several of them doing this fishing for Amberjack, it hurts when one come back and cracks you right between the eyes… LOL I know I had lots of help getting this ugly… LOL