Line breakage

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 9, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Last year I lost 2-record blue fish I figure were over 80s because 80lb mono line broke.
    I sonared them, got to fell em, then gone, line broke same way both times (open water). I figured at the time that I had nick from rocks and just didnt see/feel the nick.

I also suspected line might have shelf-lifed out as it was off a large spool but had done line testing at home as well as caught many big flatheads with same line before.

I since switched to braided and been trying several with mixed results for this season.

Q: I know blues have sharp teeth and suspect they can cut mono-has anyone else noticed this when blue fishing?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

While some people may not agree with me I take the same aproach that the bass guys do. After a big fish are a snag I retie my rig. Since I have been doing this I have had less break-offs on my bigger fish. It may be worth considering since you are catching some monster catfish. Good luck

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I know its:
    1) Line was already nicked-I didnt know.
    2) Line got nicked in that spot from rocks.
    3) Line was shelf-lifed
    4) Line isnt good quality (mean green 80)
    5) Blues do/can cut line on bigger fish

Happy with braided, but its costly to keep replacing. I extend its life by spooling on backwards to use other end from time to time.

Man them blues teeth are so sharp still thinking its that, plus the way they yank and run on ititial hit!-could be that too suppose.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had that trouble off the Georgia coast.I bought several coils of solid leader wire and made short leaders with a eye and simple twist.It worked so good that I now carry a wide assortment and use it fresh and salt water fishing.Even with Ultra-lite lures,Red Fin Pike and Chain Pickerel will cut you off.In salt water you never know when a huge shark will choose your 2 to 80 lb.fish for dinner.I also believe that a 80 lb.fish can put much more than 80 lbs.of pull on your line with a improperly set drag.It only takes the tiniest fraction of a second.peewee-williams

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont know what kind of knot your tying but some knots will work their way around the eye of the hook and cut itself where the eye joins the hook.Usually everything is alright until they stop running and start rolling when they do that thats when it cuts the knot.Once I started snelling the hooks this problem went away.

6. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    If it wasn't from a nick, my top guesses would be an already stretched out line from a previous fight or the fish just muscled the break, they can put a lot mofe pressure on the line than their body wieght for a short spurt/sudden thrash.

Remember that mono looses about 15% of it's break strenght when saturated and a lot more than that if it's already been stretched real good by a tough fish.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you didn't see the fish, could it have been a gar? Those teeth will cut through all but steel leaders. I've hooked 15-20 lb gar, they pulled like a catfish , then, when I got them to the boat, they'd cut the line with their teeth.

8. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    AGREE. I changed to using only Palmer knots and have never had one break or slip at the knot. Best fishing knot in the world, my opinion.

9. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Agree With Laidbck And Amigo. Seems Like I'm Always Feeling My Line Or Re-rigging After A Battle With A Big Cat.

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    im one to just run my fingers over my leader line after catching a fish but a good friend of mine changes his leader after every fish i guess im just to lazy but it kills me to have my hook in the boat and not on the bottom of the river

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    80 lb test doesn't mean that the fish has to be 80 lbs to break it... while a 4 lb fish shouldn't break it a 40 or 50 could easily... I see 8 lb line break all the time on bluegills or small bass (2 lbers) at the camp i work at because the kids force them in and they don't relieze they are doing it or have the drag set improperly...

Other factors (some of which have already been spoken for):
    -nicked line (common cause and it doesn't take a huge nick either to weaken it significantly)

-knot in the line

-Backlash weakening... it doesn't take alot to cause a kink in the line like getting out a backlash will

- Water wasn't as open as you thought (hidden tree or something under the water)

- Too stiff a rod with too heavy a drag setting

- Bad knot (weakening knot , some can up to 50%, sometimes even more depending on what knot)

Now on the more obscure

- Shiny swivel with a toothy (pike, musky, walleye, etc)

-Lochness monster grabbed your bait

there were a couple more that i thought of but lost in the process of writing that... Oh well...

I still think 80 lb test line is and always will be overkill for anything under shark or black marlin sized... even for Tarpon its slightly over kill ... I have a hard enough time breaking off 25lb BBG line when it gets caught up on something... (had the boat in reverse with current and all and it took forever to break off last time i got hung up so I can't even imagine what you need to do to break 80) Anyway... this is definitely how fish stories begin...

12. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    All, good advice. I especially like the one about useing the snell knot to avoid cutting the knot on the end of the eye loop. That makes a lot of sense.

13. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have a fishing buddy that always uses a heavy rated line for leader because it takes such a beating. It doesn't matter what he is fishing for.
    (Example: 30 lb mono leader with 10-12 lb mono line.)

14. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Palomar knot is what I use and only one at hook for least chance of breakage and its a good knot for tieing in dark and is fast.

I think it comes down to abrsion resistance when fishing around rocks-boulders. Still, the blues have sharp enough teeth, especially the bigger ones (over 50) that they tear skin unless glove is worn when grabbing jaw.
    I have to still wonder if they can cut line with teeth is why I am curious if others have seen this.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I use something called Fins Deep Drop line in 200lb test for leaders for this very reason, after loosing a few fish to leader failure. The Deep Drop is a thicker, much more abrasion resistant line intended for salt water. It's pricey because the minimum spool size is 500yds, but that will make many many leaders :lol: One negative is that you can pretty much write off your sinker and swivel if you snag up with such a strong leader.

16. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I use and like larger diameter line in part because some of those thin diameter lines can cut ya when its under a heavy load. Also harder to set hook using thumb on spool.

Could be that smaller diameter would turn out to be be more abrasion resistant as less drag, maybe the thicker line cuts easier with thier teeth(?).

I posted this in blues cat area because I never have this issue when flathead fishing. Blues are in rockier areas where I am fishing and they have sharp teeth and they bite different as they grab bait make sudden turn and run so....

17. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Brian,
    wow, you must catch alot of big fish huh?
    How did you derive at that first 80-80 analagy you manufactured?
    Dont get it?
    Keep reading this NG and read more fish stories that other guys do make happen.
    I dont know your water,maybe 30 lb line cuts it, but you fish mine with that wimpy stuff and thats all there will be is "stories".

But you will learn eventually-keep at it! :smile2:

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Umm what ever. It doesn’t take that big of fish to break that. You ever stuck your hand inside of a 30+ blue cat? I'm sure you have. Tell me what do you think, can it cut you? Then Yes it can cut your line if the fish has the hook in his mouth wrong. Also don't forget about the dorsal fin. That's pretty hard on leaders also. I use 40lb main line and 80lb leaders. The only reason I use such a heavy leader is because of the dorsal fin. Or maybe your mean green? Or what ever it was called is just junk line. Or it could be that that company’s 80 pound mono breaks at 80 dry and un-stretched but when it's wet and stretched it breaks at 40......

19. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother James;
    You bring up a point, and a question that I posted on another thread about Catfish "teeth like files" and their effects on leaders.
    Have you ever used, or considered using, wire leaders of any kind?
    Seeing you photo I have to tell you that I would LOVE to tie into a Catfish that size!!:smile2:
    If you would, I'd be real interested in knowing exactly how YOU set up for large trophy sized Cats? Type of Rod, Reel, line, ect.
    If you want to PM me with this information I don't mind and if you would rather not I also understand that too.
    But if you would share, I would really like to know the specifics that work for YOU.
    Thanks for your time.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Think I will help you out here just a little... Think about this. Mono line has more abrasion resistance then power pro or any other fiber line. You get your abrasion resistance from the thickness of the line. Not on how high the pound test line is. Also think of it like this.. Is it easier to cut though a thin rope or a thick rope with a knife? You’re right on though when you say flatheads are different. You might not have the problem since the flatheads lower jaw extends past the top jaw. Causing the line not to rub between both top and bottom sets of teeth. If I were you I would start questioning what you are doing wrong......