Line breakage

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by metalfisher, Jun 9, 2006.

1. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I am rigging up to get this rod fishing down so I thought I would test my drag. I mounted the Abu ambassadeur bait caster on the ugly stick with a new spool of trilene 17# line and tied the line to my storeroom door knob.

I then backed away across the yard until the line slipped. Ok, I thought, let me break this line. So tightened the drag down tight and backed away. The line slipped. So tightened the drag as tight as it would go and backed away. The line started to slip then BAZIIINNGGGG. One striped baitcaster real in the garbage.

Next I got out the old Mitchell Garcia 300 rigged with the same line and tied it to the door knob. After 3 attempts, I was able to break the line.

I rerigged and broke it again. Both times, the line broke at the bale where the line turns 90 degrees.

Without touching the drag, I pulled the line perpendiculer to the reel by hand and cannot break it. The reel slips the drag.

So, I am wondering why the line is actually breaking? The last 1 1/2 inch of line has some curl in it showing it had been pulled across a hard surface. Is it breaking due to friction heat? The line does not appear to be thinned out as if it were stretched. It simply snapped, like a fire cracker.

Wonder if I should wax the bale and eyes of the rod?

Robert

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It seems that breaking at the bail is reasonable if your not pulling with the rod! I set the drag for 17 lb test at about 8lbs by the way! I believe the rule is 30 to 40 percent, if your into rules!

3. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have no answer to your question directly. It would seem that you are trying to find the proper drag setting for your set-up though. :smile2:

i fish with the drag set "pretty loose" most of the time. i simply pull on the line AT that 90 degree angle coming off of the bail and adjust my drag system so that I will not lose a big fish because of the drag set too tight.

The style that your are fishin comes into play bigtime. When i set my primary pole at a "loose" setting, i am usually chucking jigs or cranks. If i am bottom fishin, then i have a much tighter drag setting. Basically it comes down to hook-setting power and the species that you are pursuing.
    When i walleye/sauger fish i keep the drag much tighter because of the hardness of the mouth...you need a good hookset no matter what kinda line/reel/rod that you are using.

hope this helps
    rc

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I was using the rods trying to simulate a fish. I think I will wax the guide at the bale.

I have a spool of 50# braid I think I will put on. Bet it won't pop too quick!!

Robert

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Just remember that braid has no stretch and it will break. It's different and takes some getting use too! At least for me it did! For most applications I like mono better!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not wanting to insult your intelligence, but the question still should be asked...did you examine the bail of your spinning reel to insure it was not cutting or weakening the line? It suprises me to hear your baitcaster stripped its gears - they are generally reliable, but to strip gears on 17 pound test line, I must say something was wrong. Be careful about overloading your reel with the poundage of line...you can strip this one also.

7. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    kinda off subjec. but i had a reel a 6000 and everytime i used it the line was getting really abrasive. so i thought it was the rod went to through two rods. and one night i found the problem the guide on the reel had a burr.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    So what happened to the Abu that caused you to throw it in the trash? The fact that it would let the line go out instead of having it break... see i see that as a good thing ... means not lost fish due to broken line...

The line breaks at a weaker point in the connection... where it goes over the bail it gets flattened out a little bit and there for easier to break it also just puts pressure on the line from a different angle then its meant to take... ... in real life there is also nicks in your line that you may not even realize... could be from rod eyes, rocks under the water... a fish biting the line you never know...

I set my drags fairly light... esp the ultra light rods i use so even if it does have a weakening spot, the reel is usually under the pressure needed to break it at that spot

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

delta I agree with your answer 30-40 %. I keep my drag at 8-9 lbs for 17 lb test but I also have some baitfeeder reels along with my ABU 6500 and 7000.

10. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The bait caster stripped a gear inside. I haven't taken it apart yet but am confident that is what has happened. There is one spot in the revolution of the spool the handle grinds and slips.

Rotate the spool a little and it catches again.

I inspected the bale and there is no burrs or damage. I agree that the line is flattening out and getting thinner as it turns the radius of the bale on the mitchel.

So I will simple set the drag lighter.

Thanks for the replies guys..

Robert

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If the line is poping like a fire cracker then thats all the strenght that line has.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    well... if you don't want that Abu anymore... i'll be more then happy to take it off your hands :) slip or not i'll get it to work...