Line Biters

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, May 9, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Are there any other line biters out there, or am I the only one? Does anyone else bite their line instead of using a cutter of sorts? I have been able to bite throught up to 40 lb test. I have heard it all, that will crack your teeth, you will get some strange illness, blah, blah, blah... Just curious if anyone else does this.

Aaron

TA2D

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to bite my line but as I got older its not as easy to do so now I cut it.

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    do it all the time... esp when im in a hurry and don't feel like messing with the scissors on my swiss army knife... no ill effects yet...

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I bite my line and then have a bad? habit of keeping the short tail and using it like a toothpick. Keep it until I bite off another one and then use it. I should use clippers, easier on the teeth.

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went to the dentist a couple of years ago. He asked me if I fished, said "sure" and asked why. He said I had a "micro-grove" on my front tooth and he had only seen that on other "line biting fishermen". He asked me if I wanted it filed down. Told him "nope, it took me 30 years to get a cutting edge like that. No problems yet, Jeff

6. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Count me in.... I can handle up to 20# test with ease. I fish with a dentist ... he's learned to "turn away and not look." I must admit that is the one major drawback to the new braided lines. I can hardly cut that stuff with wire cutters, much less my incisors!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to, now my teeth are so dull from 30 years of it I cant do it anymore.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Got milk? keeps teeth strong. I don't bite any more after 50 yrs teeth dull. i had a friend brake a tooth biting heavy mono so i quit . use nail clippers now. just keep a good dentist # handy. good luck

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I do occasionally, but it obviously has the potential for breaking and chipping teeth.

I now keep a pair of finger nail clippers on a lanyard around my neck and another pair tied to the boat on a piece of fish line. The clippers are much easier and faster and work a lot better for cutting knots.

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yea i'm guilty of line bitting when I'm to lazy to reach for the cutters.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Never Did Bite The Line But I Do Use The Clippers On A Lanyard Cord. They Are Cheap And I Keep A Few Around The Boat With Flourescent Paint On Them.

The Ones That I Use Have A Right Angle Cutting Area, Makes It Real Easy,You Don't Have To Turn Your Hand Around:tounge_out: Elliot

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I bit my line(s) all the time. Now I have store bought so I use my clippers. Nothing like a tasty bit of river or pond water to set the tone for a good days fishing. Take care of em boys these things ruin a bad meal, nothing tastes the same, you can get your own for about $ 1,500.00 but I can't recommend them:big_smile_2:
    Don

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I only bit line thats about 12# test or less, any higher then that I use pliars or a knife, whichever I have handy.

14. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    im a biter,do it with all size lines,except fireline,that stuff is tuff

15. rebrown35

rebrown35 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    sure, I bite line all the time. Thats why I dont smile a whole lot or eat hard foods

16. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did until I broke a tooth in half. It cost me $500 to get it capped so I bought some clippers and a retractable reel.

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Nope, never have, my store bought won't do it and before that they didn't quite match and it took forever to get it right so they would. I use a small pair of scissors.