Line and hooks-- How long does it take to...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Biscuit, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    how long does it take to dissolve or rust in water, like when you cant get the hook out of a fish and you cut the line, how long do you think it takes before it will come out, and what about line, how long does it take to dryrot or disolve in and out of water?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure, about how long it takes; But if I gut hook a fish its going to be for dinner. I dont like the idea of throwing a gut hook fish back into the water, it might not live.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    A recent study posted on here by TIM HAGAN cites that it appears our old way of thinking the hokks will rust out is faulty and that most catfish will die with the hook left in.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive caught bass and cats with mono.hanging out of their mouth and other end that had algee growing on the line so it takes a long time for the hooks to desolve.the new braids,mono,and nylon lines last forever.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats a hard thing to study but that would likely be the turnout. hooks left in fish could punture vitals or cause an infection that could be fatal. but ive seen hooks in fish that were rusting out and the fish seemed verry healthy. hooks take a long time to rust id say at the verry least a year, line probally closer to 100 years to decompose longer in water

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I read something years ago about how theres something in the fishes body that will eat away the hook faster then in we would ever think

7. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Brother's,Iv caught fish that had hooks in them and Id hate to be that fish,They dont just go away,I caught a catfish that had a hook sticking out it's side coming from the inside sticking out I opened it up and the infection the this little catfish had convinced me the anything that I gut hook is a eater.I will NOT ever forget that,:0a26:

8. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    just think of how long it takes a bolt to rust out of the back of your truck. it could take 20 years or more. i think any fish with a hook in him WILL die with that hook in him. sooner or later.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    For my personal preference, if I can't get the hook out or it is gut hooked it goes in the live well. I rarely keep fish over 3 to 5 pounds for eaters but if they are going to suffer I will. If it is a really large blue or flathead I have never had to leave the hook in one yet, I have always been able to safely get it out and return it to the water to be caught again.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    hooks wont rust in water as fast as they do on land look at the titanic its still out there after all these years and salt water is harder on steel than fresh i have found hooks attatched to screw in eyelets that were most likely in wooden lures from years ago they were brittle but still recognizeable , the only thing is to hope the fish's natural fluids will deterate the hook fast enough to save the fish