Lincolns Thanksgiving letter

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Big Nick, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I read something that President Lincoln wrote a long time ago. It is too long to put the whole letter on here so I am condensing it down to what I thought was the best part.

....................Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is premitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefulyacknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sjourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of Novermber next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble pentinence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which wer are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have herunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the United States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

I thought this was a good time to post this. It works well with what is going on overseas at this time today, and also it talks to anyone of any God.

2. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Great Post, thank you for the Lincoln letter.

Mike

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Thanks for posting that letter, Big Nick....