Limlines or Trotline Help/ Ideas

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by iluvnevaeh, Apr 4, 2009.

1. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I just moved down the road from a small river and have been thinking about setting out some trotlines, limblines, set lines or whatever , overnight and i have no experience with this at all. If there is anyone out there that could get me started and point me in the right direction i would appreciate it!

2. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    1st off, Welcome to the BOC,
    Got a few questions for you, that'll help you decide. 1st is how much current will you be dealing with? any idea as to the depth?
    the trouble with trotlines in a river is they will also catch all the debris being washed down that river, the current matter as to the size of weights you'll want to use to keep your baits down, and the depth determines if you have the option of wading it to run your lines or will you need a boat. For myself I'll always go with Limb Lines, that way you pick the best places to drop big baits. But when doing so, make sure you have green tree limbs to tie to, because it doesn't take a big cat long to get off if he's got something solid to pull against.

3. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i would be fishing the little nemaha so the current is not really too fast and it doesnt seem to be that deep, im assuming i could wade out across it. i know that its sandy and not deep to begin with, i can see the bottom. and it only seems to be about 50' across at the most where im located.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is this river known for flatheads or channels or suckers or trout or what? Got any intel?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you have trouble with debris getting on your trotline when it's set across the current, set it fairly close to shore running parallel with the shoreline. If you can find a spot between a couple of stumps or logs, that should be a good spot, especially if there's some deeper water nearby. Be sure to rig your trotlines so the fish can't get a solid pull. Check out Trotlining 101 in our library for diagrams of some ways to set up a trotline.

6. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Try putting a shock absorber in the line. I use tire tubes cut into 1-2 inch rubber bands. You can tie to solid things like logs then without worrying about it breaking off so much.

Attached Files:

7. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    How are you tying those inner tube pieces on there Joe?

8. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I tie it thru the middle first then go above that knot and tie it really tight on tube so if the fish is pulling he pulls the tube on both sides against the first knot. Doubles the strength as opposed to just looping it thru the middle. You won't loose near as many fish due to breaking.

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks.

Always heard of folks using inner tube as a shock absorber but I've never tried it. I've tied right around a solid tree or even boulders when I can't find something springy and still catch flatheads but I've wondered over the years if the ones that are missing baits in the morning might have had a good fish on there and lost him due to not having some "give" to it. Going to have to give the tubes a try.

10. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Here's another tip I use mostly with the kids. When I put a limb line out on a big ole horizontallish (I know... it ain't a word) limb, after I'm done tying and baiting I'll move the knot toward the top of the limb. That way when we're picking up in the morning, the kids can spot from a distance any that have had the knot rolled around under the limb and know that that one had a bite and pulled hard enough to slide the knot around the limb to the bottom side.

11. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Yup I do that too. I will also drape the line over something just big enough to hold it there, so it comes off easy. I've also used a small stick to prop the line up a little, both things give a little more slack and they can get it in better than a tight line.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's how I tie a 'shock absorber' into a line. First, whether you're using a section of inner tube or a heavy duty bungee cord, stretch it out as far as you possible can with your hands, and note how far you stretched it. Add about a foot to that distance, and call the result 'distance X'. You can put your shock absorber above the water or below it, wherever you want. Determine where you'd like to put it, and tie your line to one side of the tube or bungee cord. Measure 'distance X' down the line, and tie at that point to the other end of the tube or bungee cord. Tie the end of your line to whatever you're going to tie it off to. Now, when a fish gets on the line, it can't get a solid pull; it's pulling against the tube or bungee cord. But, if the tube breaks, you are still attach by a solid line. True, you no longer have a shock absorber, but you haven't lost your line and rig, and maybe you'll even still have your fish.

13. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I thought about the extra line on it like that, but don't do it. I've never had a shock break, its always the line below it close to where hook was, prob sawed off with teeth. Get a 30-50 lber rolling trying to get lose and he has a big mouthful of them.

14. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks for the ideas guys, im gonna try and get out tomroow and set a few up and see, supposedly theres flathead, carp and channel in this river. not alot of good bank to set up and fish on but theres a bend in the river right there and alot of log jams