Limited out, again....

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by beeheck, Jun 23, 2007.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Got back last night at 2:30am with another limit of channels, 3rd weekend in a row we limited out. Nothing huge, most in the 2 to 3 lb range, a couple a little bigger. Most fish without eggs now making us believe they have spawned, most likely last week. Besides our limits we caught 3 snappers, 4 bullheads, and a couple channels too small to keep so it was a good night. Life is good.

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for sharing. BTW, what's the limit out there? In my part of California, it's five catfish per day.

-- Rich

3. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    Where have you been fishing at? I think my buddy and I need to find some hot spots in the Missouri a lil north of Sioux City. We went tonight and caught 2 eaters and a few smaller ones but threw them back in. We caught them on stink bait and tried shrimp for the first time, but didn't get anything. What do you fish with?

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Iowa limit is 8 catfish per day.

I used to fish the Missouri around Burbank, SD but that was years ago but how we did it most likely will still work. We would put in and then cut across the river looking for deeper water and really wanted to find troughs. A trough to us was a long finger like valley in the river bottom that would hold fish and give them a good ambush advantage. Some would be a few yards long others several hundred yards long but we would anchor at the top and let our baits roll down natural like using chubs or cut up skipjack. We also bottom fish (tight line) for a bit also and both worked OK. Look for little bends in the trough that gives protection from current they were hot spots. We went up one day and did nothing but look for holes/troughs and then went back later to fish them. We caught a lot of eaters and a few larger fish but nothing above 15lbs was ever caught. Had a couple on that broke our line and that's an immediate 40lb fish by Iowa law as we interrupt it any way.
    We fish ponds and oxbows and if you want to get an Iowa license and PM me I'll be glad to tell you where we fish and how we fish them. I would say you would go home with a half dozen eaters each if your interested. Why don't you fish the Big Sioux more? Lots of nice fish in there. If you want some information on that let me know.

5. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    Well you know in the Missouri that there are pilings of rock all the way up that make huge holes and current. It is kinda hard to fish in those high current spots though. Usually we fish on the opposite side of the current and do descent. We haven't really fished it much this year yet though. It was too low to even get in the boat ramps north of Sioux City just like last week.

We have been primarily bank or bridge fishing the Big Sioux. We have caught a descent amount of eater sized fish on it. We just need to find some real hot spots by taking out a jon boat. We went up by where the Rock River and Big Sioux meet and fished a few spots last weekend as well. We had the most luck fishing on a bridge up there. I think we ended up with like 12 eaters all together. We were thinking about trying some spots on the Rock River as well, since we heard it has some good fishing too. Hence we may be getting a Iowa license and I will let you know if we do end up getting one. If you have any good info on hot spots on the Sioux let me know. We will most likely try them.

I want to get into the bigger catfish now though and am gonna be getting some new gear to handle them. I want to get my first baitcaster (Abu Garcia 6000-6500) and a new baitrunner spinning reel (Okuma Avenger ABF65). I currently have some a junk reel on an 7' Ugly Stick and another pole not at all suited for catfishing. Meaning I will probably get another 7' Ugly Stick for the new baitcaster. Then I can be ready to catch something more than a 5lber, since that is probably the biggest I have ever caught. Thanks for reading my 50 page story. haha :big_smile:

6. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I bought my first Abu Garcia 6500 "black cat" and a 7 foot Ugly Stick rod less then a month ago and would buy another one right now. It is the smoothest reel that I have ever owned. Infact, I bought a smaller Ambassaduer from a friend at work who could not make it work right. I brought it home, put it on a pole, tied a weight to it, adjusted it and gave her a few tosses. Guess what...worked like a charm. Smooth as silk! You won't be dissapointed as long as you take the time to make the adjustments to the reel.

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We put in at Akron and go up river and go a couple miles I would guess and then start fishing log jambs back to the ramp. We anchor above them and cast toward the jambs, one of us by the bank the other the other side. We then keep casting toward the center and then move on. Also fish the outside bank on the corners where it is deep and swift. Try to keep you bait right in that special place where the current is fast and slow. I think the fish lay in the quiet water watching the fast water for food to go by and when it does they hit it. Liver and chubs are the bait of choice and both do equally well on bites with the larger fish going to the chubs and eater size the liver. Shallow water, most about 18 to 24 inches deep with a few holes but not many so be prepared to push, I have to sit in the very front of the boat to help lift the motor higher just to get up river. You should expect to catch some fish in the teens weight and the brother in law had a big fish on but it broke off but it was a moose, like he said, he was just a spectator on that one.

8. porkchopper

porkchopper New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Nice to hear about somebody getting a limit on cats Bill . Today was my first day of vacation ,I got out this morning (a little later than I wanted) and bank fished for a while used shrimp and some skipjack got 4 hits ,hooked 1 dinky one . I decided to go home and work on the boat some more and get her ready for some wing dam fishing by air port or down by the power plants. Bill do you ever fish the Missouri down there ?

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I've fished the Missouri a couple times but not enough to learn it. I only have a 12' boat here but am going to bring my 16' Lund with a new 25hp Merc back this next week. Then I can try to fish it more. Brother in law is doesn't like the Missouri so he won't fish it even though that is where the big fish are and he has a bigger boat than my Lund. So, I'll most likely fish it alone once I get my boat home. Know anyone who wants to buy a heavy duty 12' V-bottom boat, 9.9 Johnson that just purrs, gas tank, electric trolling motor, battery, set up with lights, new seats on pedestals and an electric anchor up front? Trailer converts into a 3.5' X 6' flat bed trailer to haul wood home from the lumber store. Kind of a neat setup but I don't need both boats. I want $1,000.00 for every thing and the tires are new with a new spare and a spare tongue so when you convert it to a flat bed trailer it has only about a 5' tongue instead of the 10' or so with a boat trailer. By heavy duty I mean it weighs about 300 lbs bare and is rated for a 35 HP motor. Yep, a 35 hp that's not a missprint.

10. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    Got any pics? My buddy has been looking for a small boat to go on the Big Sioux.

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Yep I've got some or will take some. Here's a pic of the trailer as I was making it. Fairly heavy duty and I forgot I put new lights and wiring on the trailer after building it. Maybe PM me your email address as I don't know how many I can attach to this thread.

Attached Files:

12. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    More pictures of 12' boat, 9.9 hp motor that runs great, 6 gal gas tank, 35 lb electric Min-Kota motor, battery, Fish Eagle Mark 320 fish finder, new running lights, electric 10 lb anchor up front, 2 new seats on pedestals, new wire job in boat for lights, elec motor,fish finder and anchor and one oar. The trailer is convertable from a boat trailer to a flat bed trailer that is like 42" wide between the wheel fenders and 6' long and a shorter tongue so when your using it as a flat bed trailer it doesn't look funny because of the long tongue. I have take this trailer to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri a couple times and it just pulls along like it isn't there. Boat is heavy duty, weighs about 300 lbs and is rated for a 35 hp motor and leaks no water. More water gets in the boat from the anchor than leaks in and again I have never seen it leak water.
    I guess I should mention the motor was tuned up last winter and has a new water pump and when I had it replaced he replaced the cup, wheel and every thing in there not just the flapper wheel. It has a new fuel pump and he said he did a couple other things I can't remember what but he said it was in good shape.

Attached Files:

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    More pictures of the boat for sale. Oh yes, it has always been kept under a roof while I have owned it.

Attached Files:

14. nudimeyer126

nudimeyer126 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Any of you guys ever fish Snyders or Blue Lake? how do you do? Thanks

15. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Sorry for the late reply to your post nudimeyer but just got back from vacation on Monday and busy at work. We have tried Snyder a couple times and both times we got ate up by bugs and never caught a fish. Never tried Blue Lake but I've been told it's about like Snyder's all weeded over and hard to fish. I'm not sure what we were doing wrong but we couldn't even get a bite. Fished liver, shrimp, stink baits and cut chubs and couldn't get a thing. I wish we could get fish over there as the fishing pressure is a lot less and less boat traffic. Do you fish Snyder's and if you do, how's your luck? I'm not even sure you can get out in the main lake any more due to the weeds in the channel going out to the left when your walking down the boat ramp.

16. nudimeyer126

nudimeyer126 New Member

State:
    iowa
    No I've never fished Snyder's but one of my friends used to and had pretty good luck. Snyders is the lake up by the neal coal plants isn't it?

17. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Unless you live in Sioux City and then it would be down to the electrical plants. 15 miles from Sioux City, take the Salix exit, go past the Bigelow area turn off (Brown's Lake) and you will go around the curve and there will be a big wooden sign for Snyders Bend. I plan to go down Saturday morning and look it over and see if I think a boat can get out into the main lake. If I do I'll post my thoughts on it.

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats on limit. Our limit so far at our new hole is 3 broken hooks, a missing bank pole that was in ground 2 feet, and stolen bait!!! What in the heck can break a 4/0 stainless? Also had a 3/0 treble that a fish made into a double, and a circle eagle claw that is now straight?

P.S Looking for a 10-14 john boat.

19. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hay beeheck, was checking out your profile and good grief we were born a day apart same year! We are also in Iowa/Missouri area. We mainly fish Rathbun lake and below on spillway. They have been pulling some respectable fish out of there. A 8 year old made front page news with his 29 pounder on a snoopy rod. (Good Grief) Why did I spend money on a ugly stick? Keep on fishing

Will

20. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Cool on the birthdate but it was a good month in a good year, right? On my Missouri/Iowa deal I live in Sioux City, Ia and we have house on Lake of the Ozark in Missouri. So, it's kind of a I live in Iowa but wish I was in Missouri type of deal.