Limited access- I need them to come to me

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by south_va_fisherman, Jul 2, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Where I am going to fish tomorrow i will have very limited access to fishable water. Since i will be fishing from the bank in need some tips on how to get the fish to come and find my bait since i cant find them. There are only channels in there. thanks

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Pre bait my friend. Go out today and chum like crazy with whateva bait you plan on using(assuming this is allowed in your area). The next day hopefully they will be in the area and will remember what you feed them the day before. I often do this with corn and add a flavor too mine so they can "remember" my bait over someone else who might be using the same bait. Hope this helps maybe someone can give you more advice.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Chum's the answer....Bait you a spot with soured corn or something and let it sit for a few hrs/days, whatever it takes....Not much fun in a pond/lake, but it'll bring em in anyway.....Dwight

4. los7883

los7883 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i believe you can use soured milo too, if not maybe some dry dogfood...i hear you can get a can of dogfood, punch a bunch of holes in it, and tie it off, chunk it into the lake...

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    if you are fishing an area with some current i would reccomend using dip bait. this stuff will put a scent trail in the water like you wouldnt believe and channel cats just love it. it will draw them in from a good distance.

6. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    Same thing only I chum with fermented soybeans - mix-in ground up old shrimp, smelts, mackeral and a drop or two of Anise extract. Works great if you've got the stomach for it. Have fun. My dogs love the smell so keep a lid on it.

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    crappieguy,

Do you use the whole soybean or the soybean meal....I was wondering how the cottonseed meal would work...I know when I was a kid, dad always bait his traps with slabs of cottonseed meal cake....But I would think the meal would work just as well if in a gunny sack.....Dwight

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I use what they call sweet feed you can get it at a feed store:big_smile: