Limit questions...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by STC T&F, Jun 12, 2006.

1. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    I mainly do jug fishing on the MO river. If there are two of us in the boat and we each have our own set of jugs with our own names on them are we each allowed our own limit?

If there are four of us in the boat with only two sets of jugs with two different names are we allowed only two limits or a limit for everyone in the boat?

What do you guys(especially those running lines) if with a limit of 5 you have two lines to check and they both have fish? is culling allowed?

Just curious because you can catch your 5 fish limit very quickly. On Jugs we limited out in less than 3hours on saturday, with one 25lber.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Culling is illegal in Missouri, no matter what fishing method is used. You are supposed to make the keep or release decision immediately upon catching a fish. Once you take a fish into your possession, it's yours forever and counts toward your daily limit, even if you later release it. If you want to wait for that one big one, just keep 4 blues and save a spot for the monster. But you're not allowed to release one fish in order to replace it with a bigger one. Refer to 3 CSR 10-4.138 (The wildlife code is here: http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3csr.asp - see chapter 4)

As for the hook limits, they apply to each fisherman (that is, the guy with his name on the jugs). Creel limits apply to each fisherman as well - you're required to keep your catch separate and identifiable from the catch of anyone else fishing with you.

Though I suppose there might be a little gray area around what it means to "catch" the fish -- if you throw a jug out with your name on it, but I retrieve it with a fish on, did I catch the fish or did you?

You could pose that question to the folks at the Missouri Dept of Conservation - call your nearest regional office and ask or use the "online comment" form on the web site http://www.mdc.mo.gov/contact/ -- I've had good luck getting questions answered that way.

3. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats. That is cool in that small amount of time. What were you using for bait?
    Ben

4. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    With the idea of keeping 2 peoples fish in the same live well...
    I have kept 1 mans fish in the livewell and the other mans loose in the live well.
    Just a simple way to keep them identifiable. You need big live well oviosly.
    Fastman

5. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    I have kept 4 peoples fish in my livewell before. it is a divided livewell so that is two, and then the other two kept their fish on a stringer on each side of the livewell.

So if all four of us have our own liecence, but only two sets of jugs(each set having a different name on them) then we can only keep two limits?

The bigger fish were caught on fresh cut bait, bluegill. we did catch some fish on little smokies sausages cut in half and marinated in our own special sauce.

MJO

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, that's how the laws work.

Your name on the jug = your fish on the jug.

Same with your trotline -- two fishermen can string 2 trotlines together, each with their name on it. But the fish on your trotline belong to you and you only; the fish on the other trotline belong to the other fisherman only. Also note that you are still limited to no more than 33 hooks even if you string 2 trotlines together.

So you might think you can "give" your fish to the other two fishermen in the boat and skirt the rules that way -- you know, catch 5 blues, give them to someone else in the boat, catch 5 more blues. Nope. Per 3 CSR10-4.136:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I know one of our members labels the jugs with his name, but he also puts some of his fishing buddys names on the jugs. If he goes out with "Bob", they can still both use Chris's jugs, because they are labeled with both Chris and Bob's names. I thought it was good idea!
    One disclaimer - they do this in Oklahoma, I would look closely at the Missouri regulations before trying it at home.