limit on first trip finally got out

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jan 22, 2009.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well its been bitterly cold here with a stint of -30 below wind chills. with me and the wife getting things worked out and easing my mind i finally got my hand warmers out the camo and the 20 guage. loaded up my bullet belt and hit the woods for the first time in two years. being 65 lbs lighter helped too.

went squirrel hunting. two winters ago i killed 20 during the season in just a hand full of outings. our limit is 5 per day 10 possession. so i had to eat a few before i went hunting again lol. i made it out to kill some deer this year but really enjoy squirreling too.

so monday i went out at 1 pm. i was dropped off near the creek here and walked home. was out till 5 pm and shot my limit of 5. seen a couple more but lost them in the distance. so i seen more than i shot. was nice to get out and do some walking and shoot the gun. it was a mind clearing experence. got them cleaned and will freeze them tonight.

how you all squirrelers doing???????? still shooting many? our season is open till feb 15th. hope to get ut again very soon. i have a NEF 20 guage break barrell single shot. its a youth pardner model. very light and easy to carry. i shoot a few inches to the right or left so it dont fill them with shot.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to squirrel hunt ALOT. Ain't killed one in 2 years and i love fryed squirrel. Must be gettin old and lazy? We got a slooosh of them here too, mostly grey cat squirrels.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I have an older Kimber .22 with a nice scope, it is a tack driver to 65 yards. I take the long shots and my boy takes the 30 yard and under with his .410. I rediscovered hunting squirrels this season and we are having a ball. I love a hot bowl of squirrel gravy!

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    glad you got to get out jeremy. yall have been having some real crappy weather up there, that's for sure. i have 3 gallon bags of squirrels in the freezer, just haven't got around to eating them yet. i love shattering the peacefulness of the woods with a shotgun blast, there's nothing quite like it! hope you get to get out after them tree rats some more bud!

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    went out again yesterday. got one but it was cold so i didnt stay out long. lost one in the branches too. he just dissappeared. there was two in the tree and i shot one and went to get the other and never seen a trace. i even sat a while and never seen it move again.