Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Limburger Cheese - Anyone?

15K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Rodney Vargas 
#1 ·
Caught a real good channel cat yesterday on this cheese.
I was remembering the old cartoons from years ago where Limburger was the stink of choice.

Took awhile to find it but I did...and it worked real well.

Anyone else try this?

By the way...I used it in a bag made from a nylon sock.

#2 ·
I've heard of Limburger cheese all my life, but apparently it isn't popular in the South. I've never seen it, but my uncle in Dayton, OH used to talk about it. Said his backyard neighbors ate Limburger cheese all the time and chased it with Falstaff beer and it stunk the whole neighborhood.

#3 ·
Sure I tried it , it is a great catfish bait . I always mix it with cattails to help hold it together . Can catch channels all night long till the bait runs out .

We get it at Shnucks , it comes in a foil rap near the cottage cheese section .

Also heard of guys adding raw hamburger to it , and saying it worked great .

#4 ·
I've heard of Limburger cheese all my life, but apparently it isn't popular in the South. I've never seen it, but my uncle in Dayton, OH used to talk about it. Said his backyard neighbors ate Limburger cheese all the time and chased it with Falstaff beer and it stunk the whole neighborhood.
I did try some....tastes like vomit....smells like re-vomit.

That's why I figured it was gonna work well for catfish.
I'll try again next week to see if it was just a fluke.

#5 ·
Sure I tried it , it is a great catfish bait . I always mix it with cattails to help hold it together . Can catch channels all night long till the bait runs out .

We get it at Shnucks , it comes in a foil rap near the cottage cheese section .

Also heard of guys adding raw hamburger to it , and saying it worked great .
NICE! ... thanks for the confirmation :smile:

#6 ·
Durian - This fruit found in Southeast Asia is known as the "King of Fruits" but is probably the only fruit to be banned from certain public areas for its awful smell. Lonely Planet's World Food series main writer Richard Sterling describes the smell of the Durian best

"... its odor is best described as pig-poop, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia."

While rare, they can be found in the United States in Asian food markets. In Asia, they can be found in mainstream supermarkets while in season. They are also sold by street vendors in some Asian cities.http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Durian#_note-wpava-1

#10 ·
I used to have the recipe for some stink bait that used limburger cheese, cheddar, calves brains, suet (cow fat) and one other ingredient (can't remember what it is). Best stink bait I've ever used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.