limblines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by loganfrum94, Sep 6, 2009.

1. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i set some limb lines last nite with cut and live gills i caught 30lb turtle and a 12lb flat gonna go back with some gills and shad.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nice size turtle there!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

3. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Nice size turtle and flat, Keep us posted on how you d next trip.

4. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    i set 7 lines on small river down below my house last night w/ large bluegills, checked every couple hours nuttin, then caught 4' fat water moccosin bout 20 min ago, head wrapped completly over this large gill and both hooks. never expected that!

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Harvey not something i want to get my self ,don,t like snakes, eels ok ,but not snakes

6. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I've caught a couple before on the Red river. Never liked messing with them. But when they are hooked what are you going to do? Didn't want to lose the hook so I had to take them off.

7. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    About 10 years ago we had a family reunion at a lake in Oklahoma, so my cousin asked if I wanted to set a few limb lines, so I thought why not. We drove about 2 miles to the river (didn't have a boat) and ended up setting about a dozen lines out and went back to camp. About three hours later we decided to run the lines, so I grabbed the bait and he grabbed lantern. We drove back to the river and started walking the lines water was not quite waist deep and we walked the sandbars when we could, but about mid way, the limb line was dancing all over the place, My cousin said "I'll get this one" and I agree, so we went up to it and he grabbed a hold of it and raised up. It was a water moccasin, Man I never in my life seen a guy that weighed 220+ walk on water, UNTIL that night. My cousin was gone. what had taking us 40 minutes to walk to get to this limb line had taken him 10 second going back as I heard the truck door slam shut. Ok now that wasn't the part that bothered me, the part that bothered me was he still had the lantern! So I'm standing in waist deep water, in the dark, and with-in a foot or two of a water moccasin. But no problem, right, (least that's what I keep telling myself). I mean the snakes hooked on the line. Now when I'm on land snakes don't bother me at all, I'd caught enough of them as a kid, I know them fairly well, so I went ahead and reached for the limb line and pulled it up and the fight was on, and I remember thinking to myself, man this is one pissed off cottonmouth, and the fight lasted for all of about 2 seconds when the snake spit the hook, now what I said earlier about snakes, goes completely out the window when I'm in the water and there in the water! I'd like to say that knowing what to do next, is why I froze, but that just wouldn't be the truth, man I tell you none of my extremities worked. and I swear everything that floated down that river brushed up against my legs. Now as I eased up and out of there, one of the things I appreciated most, was the fact that walking back in the middle of the river, the water got a little deeper and by the time I got back to the truck, hell my shorts were almost clean! I'll never forget that night.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  8. Fingerlakes Fisher

Fingerlakes Fisher New Member

State:
    New York
    I love it! Great story! I always get creeped out stalking the flooded brush for crappies. Such a wierd feeling. But 15 inch crappies a poles length away is nice. No wonder my fiance wont wade fish with me!

9. dahut

dahut New Member

State:
    sc
    I just hate it when that dang snake wanna come in the boat. I know that has nothing to do with limb lines but, well.. I just hate it.

10. RayA

RayA New Member

State:
    Oak Grove Mo.
    I went limb linein with my uncle one time and we fished the sand pits along the Mo river. we had set up everything and had it all baited caught a few carp couple catfish over night. first thing in the morning we went to pull the lines and get everything loaded . we had run low on bait and the last hook we had i put a 2-3 inch crawdad on. well the last hook had the biggest cotton mouth on it either of us had ever seen.My uncle looked at me said boy take the mean and wiggle out a that thing so we can get our line back. took all the mean and wiggle out with one shot (357 mag) didnt have to worry about fangs or its attitude anymore. when it comes to snakes killum all and let mother nature sort them out

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So do snakes make good catfish bait?