Limblines: Shallow or deep set

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KYTRAPPER, Jun 11, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    How do you like to set your limb lines? Ive heard a lot of guys set live bait shallow so it will disturb the surface ect.. I like to set most of mine deep because I dont like the undo attention of a cat fighting on the surface. Also do you use sinkers on your limb lines?

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've set them both ways. When fishing shallow I use no weight just enough line to let them swim no more than a foot or so below the surface. I like doing them this way...less chance of the line getting all tangeld up in structure below the surface. I've never caught a cat that was seen thrashing above the water line using this method..they keep that limb pulled under. When fishing deep I use a 8 oz sinker or better to keep that perch or whatever baitfish from getting tangeled up in brush. I've had slighter better results fishing shallow than real deep exept in the hottest part of the summer. In July and Aug I prefer so set them deeper since the Gar seem to be worse at the hottest times of the year at seem to target surface fish more than fishing a limbline off the bottom.

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    When fishing over a log jam, I fish about a foot or less deep. Where the bank is undercut I fish close to the bottom. I always use some weight to hold the bait down.

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    It really depends on where I'm fishing them.I always use some kind of a weight.I put mine anywhere between 1 to 2 ft. off the bottom, but never less than 3 ft. deep.

5. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I set my lines in where from 1 foot to 8 foot of water, very seldom do I fish deeper. I have tryed the bait just below the surface and have had no luck in doing that. All may lines have 6 - 8 oz weights on them. When I fish in 1 foot of water I always make sure the bait will not break the surface. I try to keep the bait about 1 foot off the bottom.

I always check the depth of water and check for any snags below the water with a piece of PVC pipe. It is 10 feet long with caps on both ends and a pound of weight in it. I use it to probe for snags and find out the depth of the water, it is marker at 1 foot ingerments.

I'm not saying that settings lines deep will not catch fish........I just have not had any luck at deeper water sets.

6. I make oil

I make oil New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How effective are limb lines? What is the best times to use them?

7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I believe they are very effective once you know how and WHERE to set them. You could set 50 lines and not catch a fish if they are in the wrong places. It is just like fish you have to put them where the fish are. On the river I fish I(family) set about 20 lines and we pull fish off on about half of them every morning. Sometimes we get big fish sometimes small fish, the more you do it the better you will become at it.

As far as time, anytime!! Here in Kansas I don't set them during July & August it is just to hot for me.