Limb Lining

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bogray, Aug 19, 2008.

1. bogray

bogray New Member

State:
    missouri
    Anyone here doing any limb lining right now? Been hitting Smithville and doing okay, but some idiots keep cutting some of my lines out. Assuming they want the fish on the line and it's quicker to take the whole thing. Hoping to catch them in the act. Anyone else have this problem?

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Do you keep your lines labeled and on the bottom?

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    hi am from kansas and have you checked out the alternative questions forum

here is a link to a setlining site we are sponsers

http://megacatcrew.com/

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If it's on the north end of Smithville near the free ramp they'd have to be labelled to tell them from everybody else's. Every limb, snag, and stump up there has a line hanging off of it:smile2:

5. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Thanks for the minnows the other day. Assuming that you are the guy with the 15 lb channel. I was tied up to the bridge with the crappie. Glad to see that you are now a BOC!

6. bogray

bogray New Member

State:
    missouri

Yep, that was me. thanks for the tip on the site. Love it.

7. bogray

bogray New Member

State:
    missouri
    All my lines are labelled per the wildlife code. I run them on my off days and take them down on my last night off. Just sucks that someone who is too lazy to take the time to rig up their own lines would run someone else's. and it happens in daylight, so I am pretty comfortable in assuming it isn't another cat man.

8. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Lot of those bass fisherman will cut any setline they see.Just don't leave 'em unattended for a long time.When you're done running them pull 'em out.

9. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    That sucks Brian, all you can do is talk to the mdc agents at the lake and tell them were your lines are and hope they catch someone fooling with them.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Why do the bass fishermen cut lines:confused2: OHHHHHH I forgot they are the only ones that deserve to use the lake:angry:

11. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Same happened to me. mine are marked and tagged. i go back the next morning to run them and they are gone. even the trot lines. i caught a bass fisherman trying to cut my trot line because he got tangled up and didnt want to loose his expensive lure. i always carry my gun with me. if i catch some1 running my lines and taking my fish i would shoot. them. my great grandpa taught me that. he always had his gun with him when running his lines and said he would shoot any1 that touches his lines. but yeah its getting to the point that i really don't fish smithville much anymore because of that reason. dang bass fisherman!!!!!!!

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Chad you dont want to go to prison over some a$$hole. If your gonna shoot, just shoot a hole in there boat. That will teach them. :smile2:

13. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Keith. never thought of that. great idea. :smile2::smile2::big_smile:

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I got news for both of ya - you even point a gun at somebody and you're going to the pokey. And probably for a long time for doing it over something as stupid as a mess of fish.

So who's more of a lake hog, the fisherman who cuts the line to get his lure back or the guy who left the gear there for an entire weekend and then expects everyone on a public body of water to avoid it?

Really tired of hearing all the threats from liners about what's going to happen to people who touch their gear. If you don't have the time to actually fish instead of running lines, you probably don't have time to serve the jail time for doing whatever it is to someobody who touches your lines:smile2:

15. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    "So who's more of a lakehog"

Roadways are public, but you don't get to damage my equipment on it with out repercussions.
    I'm not going to pull in over your lines drop anchor and fish the hole because its public water and I have as much right as you do to be there, just like I'm not going to tie off to the same tree top you are tied to and drop my line right next to yours.
    I respect your right to use the public waters and hope you can respect mine.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I respect your right to setline or whatever, didn't say I didn't. I'm just tired of all the "if I catch somebody messing with my lines I'm gonna (insert utterly out of proportion threat of bodily harm here)".

I'm just saying that leaving gear, marked or not, legal or not, unattended on public waterways and then complaining about it getting messed with is kind of like being surprised the sun comes up. I wish we still lived in a world where you could leave your doors and car unlocked, but that's changed as well.

No issues with how you're fishing, issues with threats over something as really insignificant as a fish or two. I just think it'd be a really stupid thing to hurt someone or go to jail over.

As far as comparing pulling into the same spot as me and fishing and someone fishing over a setline, to me there's a big difference. I'm actually there and actively fishing, not sitting at home or at the campsite while my gear is taking up a spot. Again, that's just my opinion. Not running down setlining, just stating my views on it.

17. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Well said. Now think about this: if someone has the nerve to steal fish and check other people's lines, they probably would have no problem in splitting your head open with a oar. It would be best to leave the area and report it to a consevation agent.

18. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Thanks Brandon, I agree 100% fighting over some fish is stupid, and letting your emotions guide you into doing somethink that may have lasting effects on your life is foolish. I beleive in letting the law handle those situation.
    I know how it feels to come up river and see a boat pulling away from my trotline, and it sucks.
    I think Brian was just venting, I dont' limb line and I betting you don't either but I can imagine going out to run your lines and finding the lines cut and that cr*p.

19. bogray

bogray New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks kennylee...see, if I catch them, I can't honestly say what I would do. But it is wildlife theft and carries a pretty good fine. I hope they get caught. I actually hope I am the one to catch them, without my son with me.

My problem is that I do limbline. I do check them. And to clarify for Brandon I guess, I don't leave them unattended. i rig them with a slipknot so I can take them down easier at the end of my "weekend" And I run them with my five year old son usually. We eat everything I keep. We also throw back anything we won't eat. It sucks having to explain to him that people are theives, even at the lake. To me, taking a fish off my limbline is like walking up and taking one off my rod. I bought the tackle, and I caught the bait. my effort and time are invested in it, not theirs. i know some people don't like to run lines, and that is fine. I respect that. just respect my right to enjoy it.

I also run a trapline in the winter. No difference between them and my limblines. They all get checked and they are all legal. Public water or public land or not, taking my fish or my furs is theft and no different from someone taking something out of your boat or your truckbed. If you caught someone fiddling in your truck, you gonna go call the cops or take care of it there? The lines are my property, no different at the lake than at my house.

and yes, I was venting. Yes, it might be better to call the MDC, but unless I have proof of who it is, waht can they actually do? I know i can turn in the numbers from their boat, but at night that could be difficult to see. I just want people to leave my property alone. If they want to run lines to get fish, they can set their own. I don't set them where they would be in the way of anyone bass fishing. they are checked by me regularly and out when not in use. nothing wrong with expecting respect and honesty from others. That is one of the problems not only at the lakes, but everywhere. I don't bass fish a lot, but if I hang a nice one, it seems like someone gets right up on me and starts fishing the spot. rarely happens with crappie, catfish or walleye, just bass.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, you don't have to shoot anybody or anything. A .22 rifle makes a really wicked sound when it ricochets off the water nearby. Just make sure you are shooting in a safe direction. If the person complains, it's his word against yours, and he's had to admit stealing your stuff. He's the one in trouble, not you. Had a guy call the F&G and the county sheriff on me once. They told me I could leave; I left them trying to decide whether or not they were going to take the guy to jail or not.