Limb lining is legal

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by x smokin joe, Dec 31, 2007.

1. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    First off I limb line. I use 200 lb test nylon cord and every line is properly marked. I set my lines about 2 hours before sunset and and then fish with a rod and reel till time to check the lines. All lines are marked on a gps and checked twice a night, being taken down the second time checked. All fish are released. And I have never set my limit of hooks, most being 20-25.
    The main reason for limb lining is I don't have the time some of you all have to go out. using limb lines I have been able to narrow down where to fish with rods. The second reason being I suffered a back injury 1 1/2 years ago and could not hold a pole to catch anything, even bait. You think you could stop being a fisherman over a little thing like not being able to hold a pole? If not for freinds who helped me instead of bashing me, I would have had to sit out at least a year of fishing.
    It's tough hanging out in a club where I am being trashed every other day as "liner". There are irresponsible people who fish with rod and reel and there are good people who limb line. Why do some of you always have something bad to say about "liners". What I do is legal in this state and I will keep on doing it. When I leave the water the fish are still in the river or lake and all my lines are taken down.
    You want to give anyone hell its the guys catching our fish and putting them in their private ponds, as I saw in another post on here. If the person was serious about it he should call Ohio TIP line and turn his buddy in instead of bashing people who don't do that kind of thing.
    Remember not all "liners" are bad, just like not all hunters are killers.
    All that being said now I feel better. If anyone doubts my abilities with a rod and reel your welcome to come up to my river any time and get shown up, ask Randy (Impak209), who caught bigger fish after he started going out with me. I enjoy catching flatheads but prefer to target large channels. I will get a state record channel, thats my goal, been trying for close to 15 years now and one day will get it.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Joe, im sure you have read my posts about lining. i for one am not bashing lining and jugging. if you read my posts, i have stated that those that are lining in a respectable fashion, which sounds like you are, i have no problem with.. if thats the way you want to pursue and do your fishing then you should be able to without feeling any guilt towards it. my argument has been of those that are solely hurting our river systems due to poor judgement and lack of consideration of the laws stated to protect the fish. i have always used statements about rod and reel anglers i see in local tournaments showing up at weigh-ins with their fish laying on the ground etc. yes, to me that is as bad as someone else raping our system by using other means to catch them. the reason that i state my thoughts on liners is solely because i know a good many of them, some even being friends, that are the ones hurting the resource more than anyone else lining and keeping nearly every fish they catch including more than what slot limits say are legal for a day....So, by no means, feel like it is an ethical issue on the method to fish as a whole. it has more to do with the angler abusing their rights on the water. its too bad that there are people out there that like you that have got their toes stepped on by others.. im sorry to hear about your back injury also.. best of luck to you and catching your state record channel...rollo

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I personally only fish with rod/reel as my preference. As a kid, my grandfather used to set lines in Georgia. From my experience, almost every fish caught on a line is usually kept. This is the first time I have ever heard of this method being used to locate fish. Not my choice of methods, but like you said, its legal. A lot of rod/reel anglers keep everything they catch also. If I said I didn't keep any, then I would be lying. Channel catfish is good eating and bullheads make great coon bait.
    In the end it comes down to each angler being responsible for how he/she fishes. I am concerned about the stress caused to the fish by being hooked for hours before being released and if it affects their survival rate. I have no answer for this. I do know that if I was to set out 20 rods each time I went fishing I would catch a lot more fish.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jeff, I also use limb lining as a scouting tool.
    You just cant get those depth finders in some places.:smile2:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    X, you seem to be in the minority. You follow the rules, and aren't selling fish to ponds or rigging tournaments. My gripe is not so much the method as some of the characters involved in it. I just see and hear of so much waste. Motoring down some sections of riverbank with 100 lines hanging off every limb over the water, rarely marked properly. Then they get left in the water all year with no one coming back to clear them out. I have even found near dead flatheads hanging on abandoned lines that were starved almost to death, just skin and bones with a rusty hook grown over in their jaw. I have also met with rod & reel fisherman that are just as wasteful. But when its legal for me to use 2 lines and another guy to use 75 the situation just leads to abuse by those that don't care. Once they figure out no one is checking up on them, what are they going to do with all those extra fish? Just understand I don't dislike the liner just the "tools" that abuse the rescources out there for all of us.

6. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Here is a line that is made properly. Notice the tag above the rubber band. Even if the line breaks my tag is still there. I have never had a line break above the rubber band. There is also a knot so the tag cant get all the way to rubber band.
    You may have noticed I stressed the tag part. Reason being if I run across lines with no tags they are nothing more than lost tackle and I do my part to leave the area better than I found it.

Attached Files:

7. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    wether its limb lining or rod and reel,the state needs to crack down on people not following the laws and regs.you aint the guy i have issue with-your just like the rest of us.seems like everytime i go to the river some guy comes along and puts 4 or 5 rods in the water-or you hear the storys of guys in the muskingum watershed lakes taking home stringers of trophy fish from limblining.this is abuse of a resource that takes years(if were lucky)to replace.im like you, i have to maximize my time on the water and ive thought about limblining myself-just to learn a little bit about movements and location of flatties.keep doin what your doin and if you see anyone doin it wrong let em know that they make guys like us doin things right look bad.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Now that the 4 or 5 rod subject has been broached. It seems to me if one liner can put out 75 lines at a time, then go home and snuggle, and maybe come out the next day to see if he caught anything. I should be able to sit on a log jam ALL NIGHT in any type of weather and use more than two rods. I enjoy the fishing and catching, the time outdoors. I think I should have a chance to hook something. 2 aginst 75 is not very good odds. Plus I can only fish two or three spots a night effectively. I say if they want to have lines then we need to raise the limit on rods. If they want to say no more than 2 on a crowded lake they can. We have different size limits on most every body of water in the state. Shouldn't be too hard to make a change at the print shop. Maybe unlimited rods on boats? I just know the system now is slanted against me and the fish I love to catch.

9. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    im with ya s man!!!!!!!

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    as much as i blame the ignorance of many fishermen for their lack of, i have to fault those in charge of making the laws, and those that are supose to enforce them.. it amazes me when i go lake fishing the state officials there will pull people over nearly every night for speeding in the park.. strict enforcers on the easy things.. but, on the river you just don't see the state officials there to enforce laws... i just wish they would come out and catch and fine some of these fishermen, just to make the point to others that laws are there for a reason, and maybe the resource does need the protection and slot limits as placed! rollo

11. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i hear you rollo-up here in akron bass fishing rules,and ive been checked and watched others being checked for bass slot lengths and limits but never on cats.i consider myself a cat conservationist and i have told that to rangers myself.im a former bass man converted to cat man and i think these fish deserve the same respect and protection that bass and walleye get.the limits on flatheads are not enough(even the new limits).i know i might seem a little liberal when i say all this,and i might turn some people off because of it but if you live near the big river and you catch flatties on a regular basis,consider yourself lucky---cause what you get to do nightly,i dream about all year long.Happy new year brothers and sisters!

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Joe, thank you for being a respectable limb line fisherman!

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That's the sad part Mike, We fish these rivers every week. We have seen the interest in flatheads and channels go thru the roof in the last 5 years because of the internet and increased coverage in some magazines. I do not want to limit anyones access to the river or fish. I just want to be able to go out in ten years and still catch one over 40pounds. That being said there is tenfold more interest in the flats on the river than there was ten years ago. Ten yrs ago I was the only boat on the water for weeks. Last year every time you went to the ramp there was ten or 15 trailers in the lot. I'm not saying don't come and try your luck, I'm saying with so many guys after so few fish we need more oversite or none of us will be able to catch one in the future.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this is why this is soo contraversial, and you have to watch what you say.. i can see how joe could get his toes stepped on.. we that cpr use the word liners loosely sometimes, and some may take it negatively for that reason.. i am guilty myself for talking at times without fully explaining....the reasons all vary, but many are similar... there are more liners that are hurting our waters, then rod and reel guys in my opinion from what i have seen over the years... however, there are people that respect our sport and line and practice the proper measures needed to protect their fisheries.. so, i as in myself will try to give those a better consideration for now on, till i get to know them for sure and their practices....because, their is nothing worse than being misjudged for your innocent actions....rollo

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For a long time I have kinda frowned on any method to take flatheads other than rod and reel..But As I get older I tend to realize that there are bad apples everywhere, and yes I have encountered many slob rod and reel fishermen..It's just that the other methods such as limb lines and trotlines have the potential to harvest alot more fish than the average rod and reel fisherman..We all need to stay together, to ensure that there is plenty of catfish to go around for future generations.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys I started to fish for flatheads in Ohio back in the early 1980's....I mostly had the rivers to myself when it came to chasing flatheads..Heck I would fish all year and never stumble across anybody...But it's a whole new ball game today, everybody is targeting these fish..And I just hope we can educate enough people on cpr, or selective harvest...I have seen many a trophy flathead killed in the last 5 years, and for no good reason other than greed.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    as i have said, im not really concerned with the methods as long as the people are respecting and trying to preserve.. myself, have not witnessed it on the lining end much.. and i have even said i would like it outlawed totally...Now, alot of that has to do with the lack of the odnr enforcing the laws... if there was more action taken towards illegal lining, maybe i would say differently...my only see too solution now is...there are more liners raping the waters than any rod and reel guy could do....and not much action being taken towards them, so the only solution i see is outlaw them to prevent them.. again though, who is there to prevent???rollo

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have been telling everyone what you just said including skip here... i used to see no one on the water!!! it has changed a bunch, some for the good...alot for the worse!!! rollo

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it used to be you could go out and fish any night of the week, or weekend.. there wasn't boat traffic, lining as much..but some...and im sure you will agree the flathead population was greater than.. it wasn't anything to go get 5 or 6 flats every night, with a chance of a couple being nice fish!! these nights have depleted to trying just to catch fish most nights. some has to due to added pressure on them, but i don't think the population of flats in the muskingum where i fish is even close to what it was 15 yrs. ago....rollo

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will tell you all a little story, And I dont mean to hijack this thread.

3 years ago I was fishing a spillway here in Ohio that is know for good catfishing..I walked up as A guy was fighting a huge fish, beautifull flathead he weighed it and it was over 40-lbs.He then pulled in this rope and on the other end was 2 more flatheads over 40-lbs, needless to say I have never saw 3 flatheads of over 40-lbs at one time, I was in awe and just a little jealous. What he did next made me sick, as he was draging these fish down a gravel lane to his truck with the holding tank he told me he was stocking his buddys pond.

Ohio now has a limit on one fish of over 35 inches per day, but I doubt that it is being enforced much. In fact I had a officer tell me personally that it was just the stinking river, and they are just catfish!