Limb Lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Gaspagoo, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Gaspagoo

Gaspagoo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tell me the things u have caught on limb lines.

2. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    My right ear. The side of my face. Both arms at different times. Both legs. My troling motor. Emory river on watts bar has hundreds of abandoned limb lines with no markings of any sort and after a while they just blend in with everything else. Almost every time I go under a bush or limb to retrieve a jug i get caught in one. I wish folks would just obey the laws on them.

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the meanest thing I've ever caught on a limb line was an otter.
    we about lost the boat and every thing in it because of that darn thing.
    all three of us got bit and scratched by that thing,, and he was a small one.
    we had to throw life jackets on him and hold him down with the ores to get him off,,.
    no fun at all.LOL

4. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Did not catch it. But was walking throught the woods after a high water and came across a dead hoot owl that was caught on a limb line hook. It was about 10ft. off the ground.

5. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have caught Muds, Blues, Channels, and Willow cats. Along with Gar, Grinnell, eels and one mad cotton mouth... And my right hand!!

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    channels , blues , flatheads,bass,walleye , gar and turtles

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Flatheads, Blues, Channels, Stripers, Bass, Turtles, Blue Heron.:crazy:

8. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Flatheads, channel cats, blue cats, a mess-o-turtles, gar, crappie, and a couple bass.

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Flathead, blue, alligator gar, bass, and plenty of blind eels

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Depends on the bait and size of hooks I'm using:

With minnows and smaller 1/0 or 2/0 hooks I'm fishing for just about every kind of fish in the river which includes a whole lot of crappie, white bass, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, kentucky bass, and even large bluegill (and of course eatin size catfish and an occasional thieving gar).

With bluegills as bait using 6/0 hooks it's the larger flatheads and channels I catch (and an occasional thieving gar).

I can't ever remember catching any of the 'sucker family' (carp included) on limbline; and I definintely ain't never caught no mammals on them, and this river I fish has plenty of beaver, otter (they're BIG), and muskrat.

11. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

One time we were running lines on a high water. Through the woods on what old timers call a float road. This is where after cutting timber they would float it out to the river and down stream to the saw mills. Anyway we caught a catfish that was almost black and white. My Grand father said it was a oppolusa catfish. Has anybody ever heard of that before?

12. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas

Thats what folks here call a flathead or just "opp" for short.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    On limb lines, I can only remember catching flatheads, channelcats, and turtles.

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Channels,Flatheads,Grinnel,Gar,Mudcat,and Turtles.(have'nt caught myself yet)

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    most ever kind of fish that swims and my nose while racing canoes in san marcos texas.

16. CntryCrazy

CntryCrazy New Member

State:
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    mainly channels and a few turtles

17. cateater

cateater New Member

State:
    missouri
    the strangest thing i've ever caught on a limbline was a crane

18. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    This is not strictly on point, but I was going upriver once to run my lines. Down the river comes a couple of girls/ladies with a real nice channel cat on a piece of string. They had nary a pole, tacklebox, handline or even a bucket in their canoe. They looked a bit sheepish, but what can you say... just let `em go by and went up to take the rest of the fish off.

19. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think about every kind of fish in the river

20. TrapperMike

TrapperMike New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    channel cats mostly ,some blues ,.flatheads and blue gils ,and a carp and quite a few snapping turtles :crazy: and myself