Limb Lines???

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by dcoynut, Dec 2, 2007.

1. dcoynut

dcoynut New Member

State:
    Kansas
    As I said before I am new to catfishing and I wanted to try out some limb lines for Flatheads.....When is the best time of year to try these I have never done before so any info would be helpful????

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've only experimented with them. Heck, Im not even sure if I do them right...I dont know how long most folks leave them out but I only put them out in different locations while Im fishing certain spots. Once we put one out with 50lb test line and when we came back it was broken and there was also rub marks in bark on the limb we had it on. I dont know what it was but it had to be pretty big and strong. We bait them with either live or chunks of bait.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

you will get alot of differnt opions on this. but i like the water to kinda hot so late june july and most of augest are going to be my best flathead months for limb lines or rod and reel.where will you be running lines?(lake vs. river)lines are fun stuff to me. gives me a chance to run huge baits and let them soak.

4. dcoynut

dcoynut New Member

State:
    Kansas
    warcraft I will be setting them in River situations........

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We use to run are limb lines from spring to fall. We would use green trotline material with a #5 j hook. Live bluegils. Many large flatheads.

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I start in the spring when the water starts to warm up.. the key to limb lines is live bait..when you tie the line, hook a bluegill on it and only allow the bait enough line to barely reach the water, you want him swimming and splashing around, the more commotion it makes the better the fishing will be..we actually ran some one night and the creek had fallen about 6 inches from the time we set them out and believe it or not, we had catfish with their heads hanging in the air, still alive and kicking..it was like picking cats of the vine!:smile2:

7. ret.1stsgt

ret.1stsgt New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I have always set limb lines in the spring when the water starts to warm up & keep it up untill the weather starts to cool off sometims that isnt untill late october. I use bluegill for bait & set my lines so that the bluegill just does touch the water so they will do a lot of splashing around. anyhow it works for me. Just an ole retired stump jumper.

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Haven't run limb lines since I was a kid, but it was fun. You got some great advice, but be sure to tie your line to a springy limb. If you tie to a solid branch, the cats have a chance to pull the hook free. Also use a swivel because even a smaller cat can twist heavy line until it parts. It's kinda thrilling when your flashlight spots that limb bouncing--and you can't tell how big the fish is until you grab the line.

GOOD LUCK

9. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

State:
    De Soto MO
    I usually find a good logjam or rootwads when putting out lines. I try and find an area on the back of a jam where the water is slack. As far as making them up I use 100# test main line (same as I use for leaders on trotlines)and sort of carolina rig them with a 6 to 8 oz slip sinker up against a swivel and then tie off about 2 to 3 foot of leader. How to set them is hit or miss if I'm setting out several lines I'll try and put some on top (that is the sinker on topof water) and some I'll put on bottom Then pay attention to which ones the fish like, My bait of choice is greensunfish or redhorse. A springy limb is best but another option is to use an old piece of intertube and loop your line thru it to give the biguns something to pull against.

10. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I run limb lines a lot in the spring, I usually start the last weekend of April but it does matter with the weather. If we have a early spring the water will warm up faster. I use them up till July and then a few times in the fall.

Use the winter time to make up a bunch of them, I use braid green line with a 8oz weight and Daiichi 7/0 circle hook. Use black rubber straps 18 inchers to use as shock absorbers, this is a must if you tye to something solid.

Exp. --------------(shock absorber)---8oz---hook. Does this make sense?

I set them in water 2-10 deep, you can fish them deeper but I'm more of a shallow water guy. Put them around log jams and eddy waters. Check them every 2-3 hours.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like to have a live gill about 2' under the water weightless. I tie the line off to a green branch about 1/2" to 1" around. I use 200lb trotline and 9/0 truturns on my lines. I check them in the early morning and dont bait until night (keeps gars and turtles from eating the bait) if have some realy good flats use drum, bullheads, or small carp for bait. they stay alive longer than gills and the smaller fish seem to pass them by.
    I dont start limblining until early april, or whenever i see bass starting to spawn in the shallows. this seems to be the right time of year and the water temp gets right for the yella cats to start feeding more

12. dcoynut

dcoynut New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would like to thank everyone for all their help......

13. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I set mine in the late spring in creeks with lots of brush and log jams. I use at least 250# braid and 9/0's. The use of braid is important because a blue will twist the line really bad. I tried swivels but have had them break. Also use a good limb because a big flathead can pull like a train. Bluegills set shallow are great. I have used goldfish in a pinch. Bluegills seemed to work better. Of course you can use smaller hooks and baits to catch smaller and more fish. You need to keep an eye on them because people tend to run them for you. And watch for snakes laying on the limbs you tied to. They tend to fall into the boat with you.

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i set mine as soon as the waters warm enuff to walk in.usually find logjams or deeper water to set em in. use some line i buy at the local pop & shop...dont know what kind it is or what # test but it works. anyway like to use crawded and bluegills for bait. and frogs when i can get em. usually set about a half dozen were the bait is near the surface, and about another halfdozen where they are just off the bottom. gold fish also makes a good bait, but they get expensive after a while. usually check em once in the morning, once in the after noon, then run then every 1 to 1.5 hours during the night.

15. glbecker76

glbecker76 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had a friend that ran limb lines from March til Sept. He had good luck all the time but it really got heavy in early July. With the catfish moving to get ready to spawn. that is what i have learned about limb lines. We also set them at differant depths from surface to 6 feet deep. That is what I learned from him and he had been doing it for years in the rivers.

16. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    May thru July is best for us on the neosho.Black Perch+Brushpiles=Big Flats!!!:big_smile:

17. ret.1stsgt

ret.1stsgt New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    :big_smile:
    I am no different thana lot of others I set lines or a trot line in late june to mid october or later just depends on the weather. ole sarge1