Limb lines

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by kickin_wing, May 31, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Me and my buddies went to the Lake of the ozarks and set out 14 lines. We caught 6 blue cats ranging from 1 lb to 5 lbs. we tryed goldfish and they worked alright but every time we put on a fresh sunfish or shad the hook was cleaned or we caught one. i guess they liked the more natural bait.they were fairly deep prolly about 50 ft or so.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm not familiar with Lake of the Ozarks. How did you manage to find that many places where you could fish that deep with a limbline? Do the banks drop off that fast there?

3. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a place were i stay when i go there and there is docks. i tied the lines to the poles of the dock. most were caught on the end of the dock were it was deep.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Even so, 50' of water off the end of a dock is impressive. I know of a couple of places that deep out in the center of Lake Dardanelle, but around here, 30'-35' is a really deep hole.

5. A word of caution please. If you are using limblines aka sethooks around piers please be sure that they are removed when you are done. Also make sure that no one will be swimming off these piers while the hooks are in the water.
    One of my pet peeves here is finding set hooks hanging off my pier or neighbor's piers where my kids swim.
    This could lead to a very ugly incident. I myself try to avoid any area where people may interact with a sharp hook.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There are many places in the lake of the ozarks that are over 100 ft it is a deep lake. after i was done with the lines all the hooks were removed. i wouldnt want to leave my nice hooks there anyways.

7. I wasn't implying that you or anyone else does this. It is just that on my stretch of river we get alot weekend swimmers along with alot of folks that live here having kids that swim. I have seen sethooks and trotlines tied off to piers. Many times these are done by folks who do not own or live near the piers. They just come up or down river tying off to whatever is available even if it is somebody else's swimming pier. I also see jugs float in and get hung up on piers quite often as well. This is not only rude but is also very dangerous.
    I make it a habit to walk over and check out the piers and areas where my kids will be swimming. Another thing that gets me is seeing trash and debris left sitting on the pier to be blown into the river. I really have got to get onto one the neighbor's kids about this. I hate it when he comes down because I end up having the fish soda cans out of the river when he's done. That and leaving bait and hooks on the pier where someone can step on them has about got me ticked off.

8. deerdust

deerdust New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have caught many good blues and some channels too off of limb lines.

Jtrew, would love to go fish Dardanelle again. Haven't fished it since the gathering several yrs ago.

9. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    David I agree with you! Some people just don't care! I will bet you that if those people did live there thay wouldn't do those things.

10. dec1979

dec1979 New Member

State:
    colorado
    Thank you for all this helpful advise. I just bought circle hooks and cannot wait to try them out.

11. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I only put limb lines on limbs that have some give. I tried one time hooking one on a limb that wouldn't give only to come back and see my hook straightened.

12. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    To expand your opportunities, use a full bike innertube or cut a large innertube in strips and use these as the shock absorbers for your limb lines. We use these on solid large stumps in lakes and if a spot is good but doesn't have a good limb, then they provide the answer and we've never even had a hook start to bend with these and have caught some nice flats.

I recall the early days of ignorance and always wondering what had straightened those SS hooks straight out, and have learned much since then! :eek:oooh:

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Also try Khale hooks, they work very very well!!!

14. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    TDawg, what kind/size kahles are you using? I'm just starting to test circles on limbs and trots and could only find up to 9/0 in stainless from catfish connection. In kahle I only saw up to 6/0 in stainless and a bit expensive if buying a bunch. I use stainless for both corrosion resistance and strength for the large fish I target. I do have some seaguard type hooks, and when I sharpened them and removed the coating, the tip rusted very quickly, so I try to stick with SS.

Thanks