limb lines or rod and reels

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by cliu, Apr 29, 2008.

1. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering how many people on this site fishes limb lines or just fishes rod and reels.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Charlie, I only use rod and reel. Good question.

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    to each his on, but CRP is whats important

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i run limblines, trotlines and fish with rod and reel. its fun all 3 ways

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I mostly trotline for cats but I'm always willing to try new things.

6. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if im in a new area of a river, i will set out some limb lines, to see the about the size an quanty of fish in a area. then go back with a rod and real, to fish the areas with the biggest fish

7. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    rod and reel all the way. thats the only real fishing, imo

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Running limb lines is fun. But I would rather catch cats on rod and reel.

Tom

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to run limb lines all the time. I now use only rod & reel. Nothing compares to the thrill of catching a big fish on rod & reel. Since I CPR all big fish now....what would be the purpose of limb lining? Its fun...but it ain't that fun.:wink:

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use Rod and Reels I havent ever tryed a limb line, but either way, I guess you can have success with them both, I think personally its more exciting and more fun to catch them on a rod and reel.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No limb lines, jugs, or trotlines for me...Rod and reel only.

12. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Having alot of problems with people leaving their lines in the water all in the way of trying fish with rod and reels.

13. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    ROD AND REEL ALL THE WAY are there any other way to fish??? sportsman or nonsportsman theres nothing like the rod and reel when the battle begins ,yea you got some tirds out there that have no respect they leavethere limbs in the water hooks and bait and there too darn lazy to get them up the law says ther suppose to be marked well 1 out of 100 might be i see it all the time on the cape fear and sometimes on the neuse ( thank god there scared of that river) or they would have it destroyed like the dead sea at fayetteville

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i like to run lines and rod and reel

15. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    rod & reel for me the thrill is to see who the best man is you or the cat. there is no challange in limblines,if i hang a steak over your table sooner or later you will take it

16. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    rod and reel all the way. I get so tired of seeing the banks of the river covered with strings and old jugs and trash that people put in the river. I dont mind if someone uses limb lines and ACTUALLY follows the rules with their name and address on them and maintains them and checks them but most people dont. Then they forget about them or cant check them and they never bother to cut it down. Luckily for them I cut unused lines for them... I hate trashy rivers, take care of the rivers people!!!!!!:angry:

17. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Where are yall reading that a limbline has to have a persons name and address on it?

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    100% rod and reel mixed with a lot of grit and a little savvy. To each his own, and if I were hungry and needed a sure fish, I would set some limb lines. Otherwise, what sort of satisfaction could result in ambushing a catfish on a limb line? Not that bragging rights really matter, but what would there be to brag about ambushing a huge cat on a limb line? Not to mention that most of the limb line folks I see, never remove their old lines from all the things they tie them to. At least on the rod and reel there is the thrill of the fight, and the fish does have a fighting chance. Heck limb lines ain't even fishin' in my opinion. It's so easy a cave man could do it. I really think I have it figured out though. Most of the folks I know that set limb lines are either too lazy to catch them on rod and reel, or don't have the ability to catch them otherwise. Now, that should open a can of worms. I'm game, backatcha! BTW: Thank you Jay in NC for speaking the gospel! Rep points to ya!

<if im in a new area of a river, i will set out some limb lines, to see the about the size an quanty of fish in a area. then go back with a rod and real, to fish the areas with the biggest fish>

Now that, sounds kinda crazy, no offense.
    BB in SC

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...if I were hungry and needed a sure fish, I would set some limb lines..."

Ya, well if I was hungry I would sell the boat I am using to set limb lines and buy my family some food! :smile2:

Rod and reel only for me.

There is little if any skill involved in limb or trot lining. You "set it and forget it." There ain't too much that is going to get away from 150 pound multi strand cord!

Rod and reel offers more challenge in that there are the limitations of the line and the rod. Also, you only have so long to fish, so part of the gamble is how long you stay in one place before moving.

20. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina