Limb Lines (I hate them on the lake I fish)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I never thought I would write a post like this (concerning fishing methods). Since, normally, I believe a person should pursue his/her fishing with a method that gives them the most enjoyment,satisfaction and productivity that it can. And/or wants to try new methods etc.

However, within the past few weeks I am beginning to change my mind. After, almost losing a $400 plus rod and reel combo, almost being impaled (on about an 8/0 hook) and having my (laid down) Bimini top hooked.

If you don't know by now, I am talking about "limb lines". I have grown to loathe and hate them(on the lake I fish). Even though it was a method that I had been thinking about trying. Knowing it would be an exciting method etc. And, much like traps/trapping (silent sentries, I like to call them).

In the right place, they would be fine. But, in the highly congested lake, that I fish the most, they are nothing but a hazard, to life and limb (human, that is).

Please understand, I fish very close to the bank (as do most fishermen in this area) because we have gorge type lakes. And, deep water (30 feet or much more) might be no more than 10 feet or so from the banks edge. Thus, I stay in close proximity to the bank. Whether, casting for bait or bass. Or, trolling or drifting for catfish.

Anyway, on my primary lake, I cannot enjoy my (normal) fishing methods (casting, trolling, drifting) for whatever species of fish. And/or even trying to get a lure or bait rig unhung from close to the bank. For, fear of either myself or gear etc getting snagged by "limb line" hooks. And, especially now since they are drawing the lake down. Also, I cannot travel much more than 30 ft down/along a bank without there being a "limb line" attached some place.

Furthermore, the majority of "limb lines" I see are not legal to begin with. They are not tagged with the owners name etc.

Anyway, if you like to "limb line", please do it in an area that is not congested. Where, it will pose the least possible harm to your fellow fishermen.

I will try it one day. But, not on the lake that I fish.

2. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    That is why I like Nebraska you arent allowed to use limblines here in lakes only in Rivers and I think that is right. Also if you think about it somebody could take out a pretty good population of catfish out of a lake in a short proximity of time with limblines including many big important spawning fish.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I have the same problem with illegal trotlines. Mostly, they appear abandoned, crusted and/or rusted hooks and slimey lines. The guys hanging illegal trotlines don't care where they put them and love to run them across channels where they can get caught in props and make it difficult to drift fish. The other day, my line got caught up in one. I pulled it up and the damn trotline hook got me in the finger. At the same time, my hook came undone and the trotline hook had me. Damn near made me want to cut my finger off before I could get it unhooked.

I figure if the trotline, jugline, or limbline has been abandoned, if there is a tag its way out of date, or its a danger to safe boating and fishing, its time to give it the knife treatment.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hate them too! I fish rivers in the mountains and drift downstream in my canoe. I've had the same problems and lost a rod and reel and have been hooked in the arm with an old rusty hook that some fool left hanging in a tree. They are all over the place here on the James River and you really have to be on the lookout for them anytime you float past tree limbs. I wish they would outlaw them.

5. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    so if it going to hurt the way you fish you think it should not be aloud

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    That is one reason why I am glad they do not allow limb lines or trot lines here. I am sure there are a few that fish this way that are responsible and remove thier lines when done fishing. But there are a lot that wont and dont and it creates a hazard to others. Even out here where its agaisnt the law ive seen a few limb lines and I have reported them right away even watched a guy setting one up got his license plate number called it in. Good luck and be careful watch for them lines dont want to read about you getting hooked by one that some careless person left.

7. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i understand completely on that. what they ought to do if they do not ban them is make people be more responsible. they need to set guidelines for limb lines such as you must lable them and they must be bright orange with markers so you can see them. but it would be to hard to moniter...so that prolly would not work either. i run trot lines, but i HATE ppl that run them across boat roads or in the middle of a channel.....anytime i see one that is run like that and looks abandon, i cut it up and i do the same for gill nets......i have seen gill nets run about a foot below.... i dont say ban i say better laws and if that does not work....then ban. :wink:

8. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    They just need to enforce the rules and laws that are in effect now and that would take care of the whole problem. Thing is if these iresponsible people would follow the rules and regs there wouldnt be any issues what so ever.

9. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    No, David, I did not say that they (limb lines) should not be allowed.

Please read the initial post again and fully digest what I wrote. Then, I am sure you will understand what I was saying. And, that it had nothing to do with not allowing them etc. In fact, you will find that I talked about trying it myself. But, not on the lake that I fish the most.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    My only hangup with limb lines, and such is the people that set em, adn never take em up. I like to run lines, but when I'm done, I take em up, and I do my best to set em where nobody will run over em, or snag em. Now I do have a problem, with some guy that comes by slingin a spinner bait, and sees one of my lines, and cuts it just because he wants to. Now if you like line , or hate em, to cut someones line is flat out wrong. I look at it in this way if I pull up to a boat ramp, and some bodies boat is tied up, but its ion my way so I cut the rope and let the boat drift out of the way, that guy would be pissed, for me messin with his stuff, but it fine for him to mess with mine. JMO

11. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    As a Limb Liner myself we are all not a like. I fish with rod & reel also. There are some that just set them and use them 1 or twice and then leave them. They are the ones that give it a bad name. I have never set my lines and forget them, I have to much invested in them. The lake and river I fish there are people who leave them for years until they roit away. I will cut them out if I see a line that is unmarked or not being fished in years.

As a BASS fisherman. I hate limb liners!!! They leave their %$## lines in the water right where the bass are hiding. Never pick them up and I always get tanged up in their lines. I cut everyone I see. They give cat fisherman a bad name.

So yes, I agree and no, not all liners are bad.

12. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    From what I am seeing no one has said limbliners are bad with the exception of one person assumeing that was said. I dont care for limblines but thats my opinion i dont care for a lot of things others doe to others things. There is always going to be a few bad apples in every bunch to give the whole crop a bad name.be it trot liners limbliners bass fishermen cat fishermen trout guys etc.

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In Indiana limb lines are to be tagged... i sometimes see alot of these and not a one is ever tagged.... i just cut them down.... and if its a heavy area that i fish i may post a sign..... But im sorry to hear of the frustration it is causing you.... sounds like you had a good thing going and it just went to sh*t.... Just alot of rude people out there... And sometimes it can be a little more then you can handle... just go out and cut them down if you know for a fact they are illegal.... you would be doing the other fishermen a favor.....

14. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    The guys that do this legal are usually pretty concentious about safety and also about putting there lines where they wont be obvious. The other guys are a different story, they ain't going to do right until it hurtsSay Mike how is that Shepard that use to be in your Avatar it is a great looking dog.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have never had any of those things happen to me, but I guess I can add them to the list of reasons I don't agree with limb lines or jugs.

The truth of the matter is that if they were banned, the same people that left those lines out where you are will do it if it is illegal. They are scum, and scum does not follow the laws.

16. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN

William, Jenna (my Shepherd) is doing great. She's a little over 4 years old and is about a hundred pounds of non stop "rock and roll". She has a lot more freedom now and does not have to stay in her kennel but around 6 hours a day now. Since, I put in some of the invisible fencing (1200 feet of it) to cover around an acre or so. And, now she gets to sleep in the house every night on her special rugs that are laid next to my side of the bed. She is getting spoiled for sure.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There are 14 responses to this thread and not once did I see a suggestion to notify your state's game wardens. I see the same stuff about wantingly and willingly destroying another man's property. I see the same posts about self appointed judges and juries deceiding if a line is to be removed or not. I don't see very many comments about "the law says" - just comments of how other sportsmen will knowingly violate their own states laws. Under my favorites is a link to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife where they solict responses from sportmen about abandoned lines or other illegal activities. I use it quite frequently, and I have seen lines removed on subsequent visits. So, I guess I am just a wuss because I prefer to comply with the law. Sad.

18. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    the only problem with reporting stuff like that to the law is, they are very slow to respond to stuff of this nature. it's not worth wasting there time over every abandoned limbline or trotline. most of the abandoned lines i come across are in very secluded areas of the green river and i would bet everything i own if i was to report them the powers that be would not do a thing. theyve got bigger fish to fry.

19. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    people in nebraska still put them out in lakes:angry: . so any time I see them i usualy cut the hook off so they think that a fish did it:big_smile:

20. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Limb lines not much of a problem around here. Most lakes here are rod and reel only (2 poles w/2 hooks max,). See one a couple times a year and they are usually hidden pretty well. Found one with a good eater cat on it. Yep, it sure was a good eater. Must have been just hooked cause it had swallowed the hook and was still alive. This area around here is training ground for conservation police. Have been checked up to 3 times in one morning.