Limb lines for flathead catfish. How deep do you place the bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 20ryan11, Mar 13, 2009.

1. 20ryan11

20ryan11 New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I'm setting limb lines for flatheads, what depth do i need to keep my bait at? I mainly set trotlines but get mostly channels in the areas where i fish so I'm tryin knew things

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Try 6 in to 8 in under the surface a flattie will pin a bait against the surface to get to it the closer its to the surface the better chance it will stand out against the night sky and will pull more to try to get dwn and attract flatties how we do it in ohio

3. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I'd say it depends on where your fishing, in a lake you'll have to try several depths, in a river there generally easier to find, log jams is #1
    or bends in the river next to the side thats being eroded away, then put them on the bottom and lift up about 6 inches. remember BIG BAIT = BIG FISH. lol

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My favorite way is to use a live baitfish set just barely under the surface, so that when it tries to swim away, it breaks the surface, causing splashes that attract flatheads.

5. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just under the surface works well but i always put some near bottom also.Catch them both ways.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Depending on how many lines I was gonna set out....I would try some at different depths. I always just put them, just under the surface to get that top water action....it does attract Flatheads. Maybe set a few a little deeper and find out what works best on your waters.:wink:

Oh yeah and welcome to the BOC ryan!

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    BINGO

8. 270shortmag

270shortmag New Member

State:
    Olathe Ks
    I had sucess on the river finding the ledge along a bank with a good drop off or deep water, and let the bait touch the bottom and raise It app. 6-8 inches. But I also try and sit my lines at different depths till I start finding a pattern. Good luck:0a26:

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    On limbs way out over deep water I usually weight and put the bait (gill) deep; on limbs closer to the bank I put them near the surface. Catch fish both ways; actually i prefer the limbs that go way out, they're easier to get to.

10. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    OK I try and find big trees close to deep water 10 to 16 foot deep a creek chanel . Large trees like 12 in. to 20 in. and I will make all my lines 12 feet long before I tie any knots . I will use 8 oz. lead weight a big swevel Biggest one you can find . A leader about 6 to 8 in. long a big Hook and live Bream Hook size depends on the size of your bait . Big bream big hooks big Catfish ." CCC = Catch Clean Cook

11. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Would'nt know, never used limb lines.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    from watching others like they said find a steap bank then tie it to a tree or pvc polls, as far as lakes i would just find a deeper drop off, shallowas dont work for lines, that well, find a step bank, with 3 or four foot, this is a river thing, lakes are harder to do this but just find the deep water, and use sunfish circainl or big king kaels , or biger cutbait for blues, ill be doing this next year some

14. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    4 ft of water or less = bait just under the surface. 5 ft and deeper bait 1 ft off the bottom. I use 12oz sinker with 1ft leader, drop sinker to the bottom and lift up 2 ft. My experience is you dont want the bait directly on the bottom or it will just lay there. Good luck