Limb lines cut

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by zappaf19, Sep 18, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Mike Davis was nice enough to send me info on how to limb line (thanks Mike) But the problem I am having is I put a line in one night then show up the next morning and someone or something has cut my line. Now I just don't see a turtle cutting it. Not with a nice gill on there. I can tell a human has messed with it. It is marked with my name as it has to be by IN. law. So I know the COs are not doing it. I have been trying to hide the line better. Any ideas?
    Bill

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Color the lines and below the water line helps too.

Hope this helps.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    use black line, it is almost impossible to see at night and almost as invisible during the day when set against a background of trees. what a bunch of @-holes!

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Stick around Hide and wait on them:cool2:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What Ed said; a load of birdshot will make them reconsider. LOL
    Seriously, if you can catch them at it, get it on video, and get their registration number, most states have laws against that sort of thing, and the fines can be big $$$

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    You need one of those deer cameras that takes a picture of everything moving by it. Set it somewhere they cant see it.
    If I was setting lines out , I would pick a place where I know not very many people go around. Get back up in the river or way back in a stumpy cove. Look for things that would discourage people from going in.

7. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I feel your pain brother, I think we've all had it happen at one time. It sucks that people are so jealous of you fishing that they try to ruin it for you. A limb line hanging down is hard to hide. With my trotlines I try to tie them underwater to hide them. That's one reason I like my little bayou, very little human traffic and the road is tough at its best. After the rain last night it was one wooly mess getting in this morning. Gumbo all the way. Guess I got off track, but still sorry for your loss. grizzly

8. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Try and put your lines below the water level or go with camo line. I tag my lines also but I make sure the tag is below the water line also. I have the tags laminted and they last for years. You should check your lines every 4 hours, if you do this you may catch the a$$holes that in cutting your lines. Pictures of them in the act is the way to go.

9. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i had this poblem once on a large creek by a friend's house we started cleaning a couple small channels when a couple of people came walking threw the water we thought nothiing of them until they started yelling at us for killing fish we kindly told them were to go and a few other choice words they went on we checked our lines about two hours later and they had been cut so the point of the story is tht it probally was some of those tree huging hippies doing it (no offence to any normal hippies out there)

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am totally against limb lines, trot lines, and jug fishing as it stands currently in my state. BUT, if you are doing it legally like you say, then people should leave your stuff alone. I pick up illegal jugs and cut illegal limb lines, but I never mess with legal gear. I may not agree with it, but that does not give me the right to become a "wildlife vigilante".

Sad, but you will always have folks that want to mess with other folks stuff. There is no answer and no solution, as soon as you catch one there will be another to replace them.

11. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    My problem with Wylies answer is that you can't tell if a line is legal unless you mess with it and I don't belive it''s right to mess with other peoples stuff.

Jim

12. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You can tell if lines and poles are legal or not without messing with them.....the tag with the persons name and info is suppose to be visible, if it is not visible you are not setting it up legally. I absolutely have no problem with people cutting limb lines if they are illegal. By this I mean no visible tags, more than the legal amount of lines for the licensed fisherman setting them and leaving them unchecked for more than 24 hours. The law is the law and if I am motoring down the river and I see lines just tied off with no i.d. or I have proof they haven't been checked within 24 hours...sorry they are getting cut. And, no, I am not taking the law into my own hands because I will contact D.N.R. and give them my name and let them know the situation and let them know what I did. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with it if it is done legally. I use to set them myself until I realized that there is absolutely no challenge in it and I don't harvest cats for the dinner table and it is 10 times for fun bringing them in by rod and reel. Kind of pointless for me....but for those who do it, have at it, just be legal and you shouldn't have problems. If you are legal and you are still getting messed with then I would do my best to catch em red handed.

13. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Todd, being legal is very important and it is also benificial to our sport,
    destroying another persons property just because you think that it is not legal is wrong, seeing how you are making a call to the dnr anyway, let them do there job. all you are doing is eliminating proof that there has been illegal procedures and you are puting your self at risk.
    I appreciate your concern for doing things right just be careful.

14. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    hide everything you can but stay legal.There are a lot of morons in this world,you seem to have found a few.Buy some camo or black clothes and wait in the dark for them,preferably with a friend for backup.Good luck on catching them,a camera is also a great idea.Whatever happens do not confront them.Get names or license numbers and let the law take its course.

15. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    No offense guys, but if they are not yours, don't mess with them. Pretty simple. Call the dnr or dept of wildlife and report it. Just remember, if someone will put up an illegal limb line, then they will probably lie about marking it. If you admit to willfully damaging their property what else would you do? Remove the marker? Just letting you guys have the perspective from law enforcement. It's best to let the lawmen (or women) observe the violation without being tampered with. Just my opinion.

16. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I limb line a lot and have only had a couple of lines cut.

But, I do not leave my lines, I run them about every hour or so and do not leave the area.

Robert

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv seen limb lines and passed them by , i dont agree with them but that dont give me the right to cut them . and if they were mine and some sob cut them legal or not if i caught you there would be a fight , my property is just that , mine . taking the law into your own hands could very well put you at risk of being shot . the best thing you can do is leave them alone , dont even look at them , if you question the legality of them call officials and let them handle it . respect is a two way street just remember not to cross the line

18. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I fish legal, but I leave other peoples stuff alone. To me cutting someone elses lines is no different from slashing their trailer tires if their license plate is expired or sinking their boat if the registration isn't current. What's the difference except the chances of being caught?

Jim

19. flattyfisher

flattyfisher New Member

i agree ..leave something thats not yours alone....

20. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I found the BEST way to stop this practice from happening is an OAR UPSIDE THE HEAD!! :big_smile: