Limb Line Question

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by vetrock, Jul 12, 2009.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I've never limb lined before. I've read a lot of info about how to do it on here and am giving it a shot next week.

My question concerns the regulations. How many are legal on the AR River, and do you have to label them with your name and license plate # like you do yo-yos?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i didnt check the regs but if i remember right u can fish 6 hooks to the line with a total of 100 hooks. and yes u have to have id on them. i fished them for years in the red river here when i was younger.
    i just checked the regs and couldnt find any restrictions on trotlines or limblines except the id tag. musta been the texas regs i was thinking about.

3. jde512

jde512 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I grew up running limb lines back in KS. I've always used a single hook on a fairly stout nylon cord. Tie them off to an overhanging branch that has some give to it. You want the limb to act as a shock-absorber when a larger fish hits the bait. Live bait is great and don't be scared to get back in the brush. Catfish will cruise up into cover so thick you'd think they couldn't turn around in search of smaller fish. With live bait, I prefer to keep them just on the surface of the water. Cut bait, I'll set a few inches below the surface. Crawdads and frogs also work well. Find a good stretch with brush hanging over the bank and you can run limb lines just like a trotline.

4. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Another question. What is the quick release knot that I've seen used to tie them? Anyone have a diagram of how to tie it?

And, do you go with your hooks already tied on the lines? If so, how much line do you attach to the hooks? I know the lines will be different lengths due to the height of the limbs.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Rockey, I use a snap swivel on my yoyo's, just wrap the line around the line a couple around the limb times then snap it back on the line works for me.

6. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    I also use a snap swivel. I would recommend wearing gloves because that small snap will start to cut into your finger pretty fast. I use 1 hook and about 6' of line per limb. I have mine premade and just wrapped around a fun noodle. When you use live bait keep them just on the surface so they make splashes when they are struggling, itll help speed up the process. Good luck and tell us how it works out.

7. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    The snap swivel is a great idea. Thanks!!

8. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Rocky, I don't have a diagram, but I wrap mine around the limb a few times then tie it in a single bow like you would a shoe string. Then you can cruise up to it and pull the bow tie and it comes right off. Never have had one to come loose on its own that way.

9. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I don't know about your neck of the woods but here in NC you are not allowed to ues live bait on any type of set lines.

John

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a link to the Arkansas regs.
    http://www.agfc.com/!userfiles/pdfs/guidebooks/2009Fishing.pdf

Note that the 100 hook rule only applies between the main levees of the Mississippi River, and that if you use bankpoles, they have to be wood on F&G lakes (but can be made of anything elsewhere).

I don't do a lot of limblining, but when I do, I'm generally after flatheads, so I use one hook, with live bream, set just at the surface of the water so that the baitfish splashes the surface whenever it tries to swim. I feel that the commotion on the surface attracts the flatheads.

11. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm no expert on them for sure, but I made mine up about 6 - 8 ft long with a loop on the top end. I wrap the excess line around the limb as needed to adjust your depth, then thread the hook and weight back through the loop. No knot needed when setting out. You can make them longer depending on your prefered fishing depth. I stored mine on some pieces of styroam I cut up, pool noodle would work too. I of course got this tip right here on the BOC - works for me.

12. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Report - I set out 23 limb lines last night at Rising Star, using mainly 6" bull heads and struck out.

I am gonna move the lines into coves to see if I do any better. Last night I had them in the main channel with half in the open river and half behind a set of pylons.

We did catch 34 last night using 3-4" Black Salties. Two of them were 20+ lb blues. In fact, if I remember right all were blues except for one 4lb Flattie.

13. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    Did you catch the 34 fish on limb lines or what? That's a nice haul regardless of how you got them though sounds like you had a fun night :smile2:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i guess i got limb lines and throw lines confused. :eek:oooh: not the first time i've been confused though. :wink:

15. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    well i will say limb lines are good but lotta people check them often here in MO.

The best thing ive seen so far is you put I bolts in to logs and then tie off on those and no one knows the dif....:wink:

16. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I caught one fish on a limb line - I assume. It was stolen before I checked it yesterday morning. Otherwise we caught our fish on trotlines and pole fishing.

The biggest was a 32lb flattie. We also pulled in a 23 and 24 lb blue cat. Almost all the fish were caught with live black salties. Shad and nightcrawlers caught a few.

The flow is either none or very little. So, I cant complain about the catch at all.