Limb line hooks?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Cdbush28, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    What hooks are everyone using for limb lines and bank poles?

2. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have gone to circle hooks because they hook up better and lip the catfish. I can release the fish if I want to and I have no more dead fish on the line. Circle hooks are great! Catfishjon

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I don't limb line much but when I do I use circle hooks. they hook up real good.

4. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have been using gamakatsu 10/0 circle hooks for a while and have been having good luck. Occasionally i will have a hook up in a tree or wrapped around my bank pole. I was talking to a guy this morning who said he has better luck and a higher percentage of fish when he fishes straight hooks. I really don't have anything to compare to since i have only used circle hooks. Just curious as to what everyone prefers.

5. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Hey CB... been using them alongside my other hooks for about a year now. Jury's still out for me. Here's my take so far: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1136853#post1136853

I really really like that they are keeping the live bait on all nite, but a little worried about the swallowing. I'm thinking I need to move up to a 10/0 for the size of bream I use to expose that point a little better to let it nail that lip before he swallows. That or start hooking my bream a little different with the circles. Maybe a little higher... hrmm.

Attached is a pic of the 7/0 Laser and 9/0 old Mustads I've been using. I hook my bream under their back fin just above that thin white line running down their side. So they hang level and kick around. I think the point of the circle is pointing at their back fin and not exposed enough.

Attached Files:

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used some circle hooks this year for the first time and was impressed right away. I've used 5/0, 6/0, & 8/0 so far on trot and limbline and I'm gonna have some 10/0 on hand for the bigger baits before next spring.

7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I use Gamakatsu 8/0 circle & Diahci(sp) 'Circle Chunk Lites'. I made the switch over to circle hooks about 4 years ago on my limb lines. The best move I made.

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I use Eagle Claw 6/0 circles on bankpoles.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use 10/0 mustad j hooks and if you use 6-10inch bait on them you will have better hook ups

look at the mega cat crew web site and check out the info on there

10. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanks for the info i will have to give those J hooks a shot. Anyone ever try kahael(sp) on lines?

11. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I use J hooks mostly.Anywhere from 6/0 to 12/0.Just depends on what I'm using for bait.

12. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use 9/0 90ss hooks from Eagle Claw. They are a off set hook and work really well.