Lilly Pads

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by Deerhunter270, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Deerhunter270

Deerhunter270 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I currently have a small pond and it has been taken over by Lilly Pads. I have asked many people about it and most all of them told me to spray them with round up. I have tried this many times and it doesn't work. Just wondering if any of you guys might know how to get rid of them. Thanks for all info!

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    dont spray round up in the water, that cant be healthy for anything. in our farm pond we let a 55 gallon drum float around the top and that removes scum, i doubt it would work for lilly pads but its worth a try. most gardening stores sell copper...something powder to remove aquatic plants

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Paul,
    Contact your local Agricultural Extension agent. He/she will be able to get you the info on safe, effective removal.

I agree on NOT spraying them with Round Up or similar products. Why take a chance on killing off your fish when there are safer methods to use?

4. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    copper sulfate is the chemical you want. you oly use a little though or it kills the fish

5. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    if your ponds not to big i would try dragging all that crap, my grandmas pond is like that and everone told me that thats the best and healthest.:big_smile:

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Actually cooper sulfate won't kill the fish,,,but when the vegetation dies it consumes the oxygen in the water. Treat with minimum application and you can always follow up with a second dose. Farmers exchange sells it in bulk and 1/2 pound will treat a good size pond.My family raises minnows and food fish and use it every year.Baytex is another option but it will kill off the craw fish. If it was me, i would consult the extension agent before doing anything.

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i understand that grass carp would eat the lillies in the early spring when they start to grow but once the lillies are full grown they won't touch them anyway grass carp will keep alot of vegetation under control might be something to check into

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have problems with water lillies in my favorite lil pond too. I used to get a few of us together and we'd just jump in and pull the roots up. It worked for that year but you'd have to do it again the year after. I think Im gonna try some of these herbicides soon though. I like having a few pads for the fish but they are growing almost all the way around the pond, tough fishing.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. water lillies spread. i have then in my garden pond. each fall i remove the tub it grows in. one tuber will have 5-9 new growing heads in a season. i break off the new shoots sell them on ebay and save one for next season. they need to be totally removed when they start or like cat tails. they'll soon take over.