Like catching big catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Rickjr, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    If you like catching big catfish you need to be at VDGIF July 17th at 0900. The commerical fisherman are trying to get the law changed back to unlimited numbers of big fish. They have a new market for big catfish $1 a pound. All guides, tourmanent holders, sponsers, etc need to be there in support of stopping this before we lose our fishery just like other places have. We have came a long way in the last 15-20 years on releasing these fish we dont want to lose it now. ........This was posted at another forum and I thought it needed to be shared...

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Rick onthe 17th, is there a public meeting and if so, which vdgif office?
    Chip

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
  4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I will be there for sure.

5. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I will be there also...hope to see some of you there

6. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hopefully there will be a strong showing on the 17th. I can't even begin to explain what the commercial trot lines have done to the Rappahanock. There was a time when the Rappahanock was the best river in virginia for large cats. The commercial trot lines have played a major role in the decline of large fish. The big ones just aren't there any more. We still catch a good one on occassion but it's nothing like it used to be. There has been a huge decline over the past three years of fish over 30lbs. I spend a lot of time out there and fish the Rapp exclusively I'm tired of untangling their trot lines from my prop ,anchor rope and rigs. The lines are almost unavoidable in the winter. Not to mention a large percent of them are not marked wich makes them illegal. I hope this law stands so the very bunch of people opposing it are not allowed to ruin another trophy fishery in our state. And believe me when they are done ruining one river they will surely go to another. 1 dollar per pound is a load of money on the commercial market.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for informing me about this critical issue. I had not been aware that there was such a problem in this area.

We need to spread the word to get more people involved!

8. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The 1 fish over 32" law stands. I would like to personally thank all who were involved in achieving this. This is huge victory for those who fish for trophy blue cats in Virginia waters. Once again, thanks to all.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thank You, Matt, for being involved!